After installing new Quantum router, internet keeps dropping
cjgilday

I ordered the Quantum router because it was advertised as fast with better reach. There were parts of my house that had problems getting a good wireless signal. With the new router installed, we have the same issues with the wireless signal. And even more annoying, the wireless connection on our laptops keeps dropping! Easily 10 times per day. I contacted Verizon online initially, and they reset something, but it didn't help.

0 Likes
Re: After installing new Quantum router, internet keeps dropping
jsmaxwell
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the same experience today.  I finally caved to the new router, only to find that its range or wall penetrating ability is not one bit better than my more than three year old router. HUGE disappointment.  Do not change out your equipment for the Quantum router.  Stupid thing actually kicks off the extender I've used for years. I was hoping I could get rid of extender, but the new router is literally not one bit better than the old one.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello cjgilday

Please contact technical support again and see what else they can do.

0 Likes
GuardianHope
Enthusiast - Level 3

@cjgilday wrote:

I ordered the Quantum router because it was advertised as fast with better reach. There were parts of my house that had problems getting a good wireless signal. With the new router installed, we have the same issues with the wireless signal. And even more annoying, the wireless connection on our laptops keeps dropping! Easily 10 times per day. I contacted Verizon online initially, and they reset something, but it didn't help.

Are you sure it's just the wireless signal? We too also got the Quantum Gateway (HW Rev. 1.03) and the thing is losing connections on WAN and LAN.

On another note, Verizon's routers are known to be inadequate (like all other ISPs) for wireless range coverage; especially if you have a bigger home. You may consider getting yourself Wireless Routers to act in "Access Point" mode and just turn off the WiFi on the Verizon router.

I don't even know if the Quantum Gateway is WiFi AC capable (the latest WiFi standard) but it claims speeds up to 800Mbps on WiFi. Modern, good WiFi AC routers will get you to 1750-3000+ Mbps (combined throughoutput) assuming you have the right AC cards in your devices and depending on how far you are from the WiFi AP..

If your devices are N capable, those AC access points will at least give you virtually full N speeds anywhere in your home.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Quantum Gateway is 1300Mbps 3x3 802.11ac Wave 1 on the 5Ghz Radio, and 450Mbps 3x3 802.11n on the 2.4Ghz Radio. Pretty standard for most Gateways and access points today.

0 Likes