Re: All Apple updates time out. But through a VPN, it's fine!
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

It is frustrating.

I'm trying to update my wife's iPad to iOS 8 now.  I can't even get the download to start via my FiOS service and I don't have enough data left this month on my at&t cellular plan to use the same trick as I used on her iPhone.

I'm thinking about walking down the street and trying a neighbor's cable connection to see if that's any better.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Did you put them directly into the machine/device or in the router?  some people said they had to put them in the device

Also if those don't work also try level 3's and also open's

Level 3 is 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2  and open dns is 208.67.222.222   208.67.220.220

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

It's happening because Apple's CDN in your area is getting taxed or it has a peering issue with a particular network.  You would have to run an MTR scan to find out if it has a peering issue like that, a regular traceroute will only give a smidgen of actual info.

most likely getting taxed, they sold 6 million new devices in the first 3 or 4 days and that isn't including any of their legacy customers trying to get the update too.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Yep...I understand that.  And yes, I tried Google, OpenDNS and Level 3, each entered directly into my Actiontec router.

It's still at least interesting that I run into the problem through FiOS, regardless of what DNS I use, but using at&t cellular data I didn't have the issue.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
That would be a fun experiment. If you child get their dns and try it. That could point to a peering issue. Also they did don't put it in the router. Instead put it in your device (laptop ipad etc)
0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

What difference does it make if I put the DNS server in the device, iPad, etc., or in the router, if the device defaults to 192.168.1.1 to get DNS service from its wifi connection?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

They said they were testing and it wasn't passing through the new dns to the devices from the router.  I thought it was them misinterpreting what they were seeing because they naturally see the default gateway, but they said there was a difference when they put it in the device direct.  I think it's noted on that BBR link I posted earlier.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Also There's a lot of reports that this is compatible for Iphone 4 and 4s but when applied it makes the phone nearly unuseable.  So beware, for eljefe, and all others reading this,  if you are updating a device like that.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

They said they were testing and it wasn't passing through the new dns to the devices from the router.  I thought it was them misinterpreting what they were seeing because they naturally see the default gateway, but they said there was a difference when they put it in the device direct.  I think it's noted on that BBR link I posted earlier.

Well, I tried Google's DNS directly in the iPad in question and still no joy.

I may walk down the street and try our neighbor's cable connection, or I may just wait a few days until the iOS 8 / iPhone 6 storm calms down and update my wife's iPad then. Smiley Wink

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

That's what I am waiting for with my wife's too. 

That, and I am lazy.

0 Likes