Re: All Apple updates time out. But through a VPN, it's fine!
misaro

@eljefe wrote:

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

They said they were testing and it wasn't passing through the new dns to the devices from the router.  I thought it was them misinterpreting what they were seeing because they naturally see the default gateway, but they said there was a difference when they put it in the device direct.  I think it's noted on that BBR link I posted earlier.

Well, I tried Google's DNS directly in the iPad in question and still no joy.

I may walk down the street and try our neighbor's cable connection, or I may just wait a few days until the iOS 8 / iPhone 6 storm calms down and update my wife's iPad then. Smiley Wink

I too had problems updating my phone (~20 KB/s) and after changing DNS on both router and device with no luck, decided to head to my GF's apartment where it updated in less than 30 minutes. Irritating.

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just completed 2 iPhones and my iPad all now running iOS 8.0

Took about half an hour for all.

Just changed my router DNS server to openDNS yesterday   208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I'm the first to say you can't argue with success so I'm glad that worked for you.  However, using openDNS, or Google DNS, etc. etc., made no difference here.

Maybe it depends on your geographic location, or some other mystery of the universe.  Changing DNS settings is worth a try for anyone having the problem we're discussing but I wouldn't bet the ranch it will help.

edit/update:  I went to do a little food shopping with my wife.  I took her iPad along and left it in the car in the supermarket's parking lot.  Before we went inside I connected the iPad to a guest wifi service there, a service that connects to our local cable provider rather than FiOS, and I started the iOS 8 update.  When we came back out, 15 or 20 minutes later, the download was complete.

This after trying unsuccessfully for several days, over and over and over, to complete the download at home with our FiOS service.

I hope this issue will be resolved soon, but until it is, if you're having trouble with Apple downloads, and you don't want to or can't use a VPN, try any other provider's service. 

And yes, I know we FiOS customers shouldn't have to put up with this and I hope something is going on behind the scenes to correct it.  In the mean time, at least I'm done with the Apple updates for now.

iOS 8 unable to download due to Verizon FiOS throttling
theblanks
Enthusiast - Level 2

Looking into what those of us with FiOS internet can do to download iOS 8 via iTunes.  Several iOS users are experiencing 40+ hour download times that ultimately time out due to network errors and the common theme on Apple Support Community forums seems to be Verizon FiOS.  

I'm on the east coast and have tried it at 5:00 am, 1:00 pm, and 12:00 am with a hard-wired connection on a brand new MacMini with 16GB of RAM and it's failed every time after one hour.

0 Likes
Re: iOS 8 unable to download due to Verizon FiOS throttling
confusedbrit

I also have had this problem. I have tried changing my DNS servers to Google's on both my PCs and the router. I also tried my work VPN and had the same results. Brought me laptop into the office (which has a super slow connection) and I'm getting 45 min as a download speed. It seems it is a Verizon Fios problem. 

0 Likes
rjw246

Yes, it's true -- this is not an Apple issue (although they're culpable on some level here) but rather a FIOS problem (it certatinly seems they're throttling here).

Regardless of who is to blame, here is a workaround: change the DNS to the Google Public DNS -- instructions for both Mac and Windows can be found here:

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

I was trying to upload ios8 over the weekend (wired and wirelessly) with upload times of 72+ hours, and timing out after an hour or so.

I just changed the DNS following the instructions (and be sure to reboot after you change them), and I downloaded the ios8 update in 6 minutes.  Literally.

It would've been nice to know this from Verizon (considering how much we get fleeced for sub-standard service), or even Apple, but.... well, now you know how to fix it.  Enjoy

RW

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Another advanced user found the bad Apple CDN's "blackholes" and posted the fix work around.

If you're relatively savvy you can try it.

he writes

This NANOG poster hit the nail on the head, Apple didn't buy enough or the right capacity into Verizon:

»permalink.gmane.org/gmane.org.op···g/124173

The good news is there are options... if your router supports static routing and blackholes, you can route 17.253.0.0/16 to the bit bucket there. Otherwise, in OSX you can do something like 'sudo route add 17.253.0.0/16 127.0.0.1' from the command prompt with the same results. (Of course this won't change how your iOS device fetches updates, only your mac.) The OS will fail back to other CDNs and the transfers will be fast.

Hopefully Apple will realize the mistake here and go back to using reliable CDNs like Akamai. Their in house one just isn't ready for prime time.
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@rjw246 wrote:

Yes, it's true -- this is not an Apple issue (although they're culpable on some level here) but rather a FIOS problem (it certatinly seems they're throttling here).

Regardless of who is to blame, here is a workaround: change the DNS to the Google Public DNS -- instructions for both Mac and Windows can be found here:

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

I was trying to upload ios8 over the weekend (wired and wirelessly) with upload times of 72+ hours, and timing out after an hour or so.

I just changed the DNS following the instructions (and be sure to reboot after you change them), and I downloaded the ios8 update in 6 minutes.  Literally.

It would've been nice to know this from Verizon (considering how much we get fleeced for sub-standard service), or even Apple, but.... well, now you know how to fix it.  Enjoy

RW

Verizon wouldn't have any way of notifying you of this as they aren't the ones choosing how to send you the data.

You make a request for the update, Verizon is responsible for the forward path to Apple.

Apple sends you the update, they Choose what pipe to send it to you on, they control their forward path.

0 Likes
rawdog1

I had to check in with this.  I was having the same problem as everyone else and then I followed

the advice posted in the link.  Downloaded in no time.  Success.  

Notes I have Fios

Phone iphone 5

Be Sure to copy the original numbers down as suggested in the Google article before any changes so your can later

replace them which I would suggest.

Be sure to restart your computer/ device 

Stay patient with the download and don't disconnect unitl the phone restarts.

Many thanks to rjw246

You solved my problem.

Hope this works for many of you.

0 Likes
getOffMyTV
Enthusiast - Level 1

Its good that there are a few work-arounds, but this is Verizon's problem and we should not need to do any of this stuff. 

0 Likes