All Apple updates time out. But through a VPN, it's fine!

Highlighted
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV

Re: All Apple updates time out. But through a VPN, it's fine!

Message 11 of 45
(1,107 Views)

It is frustrating.

I'm trying to update my wife's iPad to iOS 8 now.  I can't even get the download to start via my FiOS service and I don't have enough data left this month on my at&t cellular plan to use the same trick as I used on her iPhone.

I'm thinking about walking down the street and trying a neighbor's cable connection to see if that's any better.

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 12 of 45
(1,104 Views)

Did you put them directly into the machine/device or in the router?  some people said they had to put them in the device

Also if those don't work also try level 3's and also open's

Level 3 is 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2  and open dns is 208.67.222.222   208.67.220.220

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 13 of 45
(1,104 Views)

It's happening because Apple's CDN in your area is getting taxed or it has a peering issue with a particular network.  You would have to run an MTR scan to find out if it has a peering issue like that, a regular traceroute will only give a smidgen of actual info.

most likely getting taxed, they sold 6 million new devices in the first 3 or 4 days and that isn't including any of their legacy customers trying to get the update too.

Highlighted
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV

Message 14 of 45
(1,100 Views)

Yep...I understand that.  And yes, I tried Google, OpenDNS and Level 3, each entered directly into my Actiontec router.

It's still at least interesting that I run into the problem through FiOS, regardless of what DNS I use, but using at&t cellular data I didn't have the issue.

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 15 of 45
(1,096 Views)
That would be a fun experiment. If you child get their dns and try it. That could point to a peering issue. Also they did don't put it in the router. Instead put it in your device (laptop ipad etc)
Highlighted
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV

Message 16 of 45
(1,090 Views)

What difference does it make if I put the DNS server in the device, iPad, etc., or in the router, if the device defaults to 192.168.1.1 to get DNS service from its wifi connection?

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 17 of 45
(1,086 Views)

They said they were testing and it wasn't passing through the new dns to the devices from the router.  I thought it was them misinterpreting what they were seeing because they naturally see the default gateway, but they said there was a difference when they put it in the device direct.  I think it's noted on that BBR link I posted earlier.

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 18 of 45
(1,085 Views)

Also There's a lot of reports that this is compatible for Iphone 4 and 4s but when applied it makes the phone nearly unuseable.  So beware, for eljefe, and all others reading this,  if you are updating a device like that.

Highlighted
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV

Message 19 of 45
(1,082 Views)

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

They said they were testing and it wasn't passing through the new dns to the devices from the router.  I thought it was them misinterpreting what they were seeing because they naturally see the default gateway, but they said there was a difference when they put it in the device direct.  I think it's noted on that BBR link I posted earlier.

Well, I tried Google's DNS directly in the iPad in question and still no joy.

I may walk down the street and try our neighbor's cable connection, or I may just wait a few days until the iOS 8 / iPhone 6 storm calms down and update my wife's iPad then. Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 20 of 45
(1,076 Views)

That's what I am waiting for with my wife's too. 

That, and I am lazy.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.