All services down - problem with ONT equipment
mcdehuevo
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have phone, internet, and TV, all of which are down - I've tried rebooting the router, and it just can't connect to WAN.  I called tech support and went through the automated system, which ran a test and told me there was a problem with the ONT equipment and they need to send a tech.  Two issues with this:

a) I don't trust these stupid automated systems to get anything right

b) The next tech availability is Thursday......... between 8am and 8pm

The automated system says they're experiencing extended wait times blah blah blah.  I went ahead and scheduled the appointment, but I don't want to wait around til Thursday, spend a day sitting at home waiting for them to show up, and then find out there was some easy fix.

Anyone dealt with this before and have any suggestions?  I'm actually not sure what "ONT equipment" is, or even if I'm spelling that right.  The router itself seems fine, since I can connect to the wireless network; does ONT equipment mean the FiOS box in the building?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Re: All services down - problem with ONT equipment
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

There's a "white box" or other piece of Verizon equipment into which the fiber terminates -- usually hanging outside your house near where your utility services enter or in a closet or other hidden location (not the router -- the box to which the coax which comes out of the router ultimate connects).

This is the ONT or Optical Network Terminal.

This is a powered device.  Find it and then find where it's battery backup unit is plugged in and make sure you have power to the ONT.  The power block will usually be inside your house or garage somewhere near where the ONT is located.  

One thing I've found is that since many residential ONT's are located outside the house near a garage, that the battery/power unit is often plugged in to an outlet in the garage and that these outlets frequently are ground fault protected -- you know those little outlets that have a push button reset switch on them -- and that the ground fault will occasionally get tripped due to some other event.  When this happens, the ONT goes down too until it's reset.

Anyhow ... start with finding the ONT and then finding the outlet where it's plugged in an make sure it has juice.  

IF so, the open the "customer" side of the ONT and check for any indications of "power" to the ONT.  No lights, no power -- check your power connections.  Lights but no operation -- then it sounds like an ONT fault or an optical cable fault and Verizon's going to need to visit.

jeffdro
Enthusiast - Level 1
I have power going to the ont because I see the light on the power pack is lit up. I had a replacement battery ready so when I put that one in I was able to use my services. That only lasted about 2 hours then no luck again. Since nemo just came through and messed everything up they are telling my the next appointment they have is 10 days away. Anyone have any tips on what I can do to troubleshoot it myself
Hubrisnxs
Legend

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If all your services are down, the only thing you can do is verify you have power to the ont (even if you have lights, remember there is a battery in there. the light might be coming from the battery, which would be bad)

So take your cell charger down there, plug it in, and make sure your phone gets charge from the same outlet. 

IF it does then you can reboot your ont. 

As long as there is no problem outside, it should wake it up, and restore your service.  

you can also try verizon's online ONT reboot tool.

Resetting my FiOS services once the power comes back on

Reset your Optical Network Terminal (ONT)

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

when you say "building", do you mean an apartment building?

0 Likes