Amazon Prime audio issues
stdenney1961
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having chronic audio issues when trying to watch Amazon Prime streaming video. When playing a video using the Prime app, there are intermittent audio cut-outs. This usually happens at the beginning of a program, cutting out for a second or two every minute or so (approximately). Sometimes the problem will resolve itself after a few minutes, but usually it does not. I have noticed this problem intermittently in the past, but it seems to be chronic now.

I am using a Panasonic Viera TC-50AS530U TV (June 2014), connected to Verizon FiOS via 5GB wireless. I have rebooted the FiOS router. The FiOS WiFi signal is strong (5 bars), and upload/download speeds are >150Mbps (tested using iPhone speedtest app, connected to the same 5GB WiFi SSID). This appears to be a streaming-only issue: Regular FiOS TV video (including on-demand selections) from the set top box does NOT have the audio issue.

I have ensured that the TV firmware is the latest version available, and have selected PCM (instead of Auto) for the audio mode for Prime viewing, but this seems to make no difference in the audio drop-out issue.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Amazon Prime audio issues
stdenney1961
Enthusiast - Level 2

After looking at the alternatives, I wound up getting an Amazon Fire Stick. Problem solved. Streaming now works beautifully, with no audio issues. Apparently, the root cause was the outdated Amazon Prime app that the smart TV provides. I posted on the Panasonic board to see if there might ever be an app update available, but got zero response. The Fire Stick was an inexpensive solution (especially since I was already paying for a Prime subscription), and it works great.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does it happen if you stream from another device?

jonjones1
Legend

First thing is get off wireless. If your tv has a direct ethernet connection use that for better speed and quality.

Amazon prime video is available on many smart tv, Roku, Chromecast, App Store on Apple TV and android devices from google play store. As well as viewable on tablets and cellular devices as well as desktops and laptops. In fact my Blu ray player has a Prime app on it. 

I would try it on a device like roku or the firestick etc. and see if that takes care of your issue.

stdenney1961
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your reply. The problem only occurs on the TV, using the Amazon app; streaming from an iPad or a laptop worked fine, so it looks like this is not a Verizon issue. 

0 Likes
stdenney1961
Enthusiast - Level 2

Excellent suggestion; should've tried both of those before posting. Direct Ethernet connection made no difference, however, streaming from an iPad or a laptop worked fine, so it looks like this is not a Verizon issue.  The problem only occurs on the TV, using the Amazon app, so I'll focus troubleshooting towards Panasonic & Amazon. (I did uninstall and reinstall the Amazon app from the TV - surprised to see that the app was dated March 2011, with no newer choice - that'll be my first question for them.)

Thanks for your (and CRob's) reply, I appreciate it.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@stdenney1961wrote:

Excellent suggestion; should've tried both of those before posting. Direct Ethernet connection made no difference, however, streaming from an iPad or a laptop worked fine, so it looks like this is not a Verizon issue.  The problem only occurs on the TV, using the Amazon app, so I'll focus troubleshooting towards Panasonic & Amazon. (I did uninstall and reinstall the Amazon app from the TV - surprised to see that the app was dated March 2011, with no newer choice - that'll be my first question for them.)

Thanks for your (and CRob's) reply, I appreciate it.

Not wanting to see you spend money I would suggest that getting an Apple TV 4th. Generation it’s expensive at $220 at an Apple store. Or you could get a Roku for about $45 for the new Roku stick (I own two of these each) or a Chromecast to get the Amazon prime app to stream movies and tv. Right now if you purchase a 3 month subscription to DirectTVNOW they give you a Apple TV 4th. Generation of course it’s $35 x 3=$105 up front but you don’t have to continue after that prepay promotion.

This way you won’t need to mess around with the manufacturer or the app.

Just a suggestion 😀

MikeP22

I too have the same issue. Tried upgradng from 50/50M to 75/75M, no luck. Turned off all other devices. Rebooted router and DVR box, checked firmware was up to date on Smart TV. No luck, ready to give 

0 Likes
stdenney1961
Enthusiast - Level 2

After looking at the alternatives, I wound up getting an Amazon Fire Stick. Problem solved. Streaming now works beautifully, with no audio issues. Apparently, the root cause was the outdated Amazon Prime app that the smart TV provides. I posted on the Panasonic board to see if there might ever be an app update available, but got zero response. The Fire Stick was an inexpensive solution (especially since I was already paying for a Prime subscription), and it works great.

0 Likes
Cons1

I am having this audio issue in my iPad. Any insight anyone?

0 Likes
Sgonzo2k

Started for me too. Looks like the app got updated 2 days ago. Might be the root cause. 

Yeap just read the app reviews in the App Store. A lot of people having the same issue. Looks like latest update broke the app. 

0 Likes