An application that runs on 2 PC's cant talk through Actiontec router
enf1945

I have the Actiontec M424WR Rev1.

Internet access for the two PC's  works fine.

I have an application that lets 2 PC's share a mouse and keyboard. It doesnt access the internet.

On a linksys router without internet  it works but Not on Actiontec.

I tried port fowarding

(which i understand is to  out or in from interent) still no good.

i have rebooted the PC's and Actiontec

any ideas ?

thanks

0 Likes
Re: An application that runs on 2 PC's cant talk through Actiontec router
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is one on the wired network and one wireless?  If so try turning off IGMP proxy.

http://192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active_page=6059

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

How are the two PCs connected to the router?  Cat5 cable or wireless?

If the two PCs are connected via cat5 cable, the router does NOT get involved in what traffic to pass.  The 4 ports on the router act as a simple ethernet switch.

0 Likes
enf1945

both connected by wired ethernet

also wanted to mention that i disabled Firewall on both PC's still no go.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@enf1945 wrote:

I have an application that lets 2 PC's share a mouse and keyboard. It doesnt access the internet.

On a linksys router without internet  it works but Not on Actiontec.

I tried port fowarding

(which i understand is to  out or in from interent) still no good.

any ideas ?

thanks

Port forwarding is only meaningful for inbound from the wan side of the router.  Your traffic is all local on the lan switch side of the router.

What is the app?

What OS are the pc's running?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@enf1945 wrote:

I have the Actiontec M424WR Rev1.

Are you talking about "Synergy?"  I use it with two wired Windows PCs and my Actiontec Rev I.  It works fine.  I do have.  IGMP proxy turned off so iTunes works properly. I've not tested Synergy with IGMP proxy on.  If you haven't turned it off, try it.

Synergy is somewhat flakey.  Sometimes I'll loose the Synergy link on my client machine when I run certain applications on my host that do particular networking tasks like FTP.  Even some web downloads knock out the link.  Try running a minimal number of networking programs to see if that helps.

If you haven't already tried to "ping" each machine from the other, do that first to make sure basic connectivity is working.

If you're not using Synergy, check it out.  It's a great, free, cross-platform keyboard/mouse sharing application.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gs0b wrote:

Are you talking about "Synergy?"  I use it with two wired Windows PCs and my Actiontec Rev I.  It works fine.  I do have.  IGMP proxy turned off so iTunes works properly. I've not tested Synergy with IGMP proxy on.  If you haven't turned it off, try it.

Synergy is somewhat flakey.  Sometimes I'll loose the Synergy link on my client machine when I run certain applications on my host that do particular networking tasks like FTP.  Even some web downloads knock out the link.  Try running a minimal number of networking programs to see if that helps.

If you haven't already tried to "ping" each machine from the other, do that first to make sure basic connectivity is working.

If you're not using Synergy, check it out.  It's a great, free, cross-platform keyboard/mouse sharing application.

Good Luck.

Why would you use a flakey app to replace a built in windows function that works fine?

Turn on remote desktop sharing undr computer properties and run mstsc on the machine with kb, mouse and monitor to control the other pc's via rdp

Has the added advantage that you can also run the machines remotely from the internet using the correct port forwarding rules - suggested you change the listing ports in the registry to something obscure if you are going to do that.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@viafax999 wrote:

Why would you use a flakey app to replace a built in windows function that works fine?

Turn on remote desktop sharing undr computer properties and run mstsc on the machine with kb, mouse and monitor to control the other pc's via rdp

Synergy isn't that flakey. It just doesn't get along well with one particularly old program I use that access an online database via FTP.  When the FTP transfer is running, Synergy stops.  As soon as the transfer is done, it comes back.  Not even a minor annoyance for me.

Synergy is not a remote desktop sharing function.  It is simply a keyboard and mouse sharing function like the old keyboard/mouse switch boxes.

I've two computers on my desk; a work laptop and a home desktop.  Each has their own keyboards and screens.  With Synergy, I can use one keyboard and mouse to control both machines.  I simply move the mouse from one screen to another and control follows.  It's just like moving a mouse between multiple monitors on a single machine, except that I'm actually switching between computers.

I thought Windows remote desktop functions are for just that - remote access to a machine where keyboard, mouse and screen are duplicated on the client.  If I'm missing something, please educate.  Also consider if it'll work with Windows7 Home Premium.

Synergy is also cross platform, so when I fire up a Linux machine I sometimes use, it too can share the same keyboard and mouse.

Thanks.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gs0b wrote:

I thought Windows remote desktop functions are for just that - remote access to a machine where keyboard, mouse and screen are duplicated on the client.  If I'm missing something, please educate.  Also consider if it'll work with Windows7 Home Premium.

Synergy is also cross platform, so when I fire up a Linux machine I sometimes use, it too can share the same keyboard and mouse.

Thanks.

I have several servers running hyper-v with test machines and servers running on the vms  All the servers are headless i.e. no kb, no mouse no monitor.

I have a desktop machine with a couple of monitors on it and run all the the other equipment from that that single machine.  Just bring up an rdp session on each machine and can do anything on them that you could do with a physical connection.  Has the added bonus within reason you can copy and paste between the various machinesvia the shared clipboard.  Also as I said earlier, with the correct port forwarding rules can run the eqipment from the road too.  I still have a couple of old KVM switches wired but no longer bother using the.  At work we have gone the same way and run everything via rdp rather than using kvm.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@viafax999 wrote:

I have several servers running hyper-v with test machines and servers running on the vms  All the servers are headless i.e. no kb, no mouse no monitor.

Sounds like you're solving a different problem then me. I don't want headless machines.  I have two separate machines with screens.  I just want one keyboard and mouse for both machines.  Synergy does that quite nicely.

Synergy has a shared clipboard.  I've no need to access my computers remotely - I just take my laptop with me.

In short, Synergy is a handy little program for solving a specific problem without a lot of overhead and it works on a wide variety of systems.

As for the OP's question, I'm with TNS_2 that the IGMP Proxy could be the issue.  Until we get feedback on what program he is using and if IGMP Proxy makes a difference, we're just guessing.

Thanks.

0 Likes