Any Mac users out there who have had consistent Internet connectivity problems?
mark1154

Since Dec, 2008:

• Actiontec Router will not provide connectivity from my iMac to my iBook
 • Verizon sent me a 2nd router that did not fix the problem
 • Someone suggested a work-a-round with another router, that worked for 8 mths
 • Problems surfaced again (slow connectivity on iMac as well as iBook)
 • Verizon claims its my computer problem not their FIOS problem 
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Any Mac users out there who have had consistent Internet connectivity problems?
ipnet
Enthusiast - Level 2

Get back to basics.  Turn off the Belkin and plug your iMac with an ethernet cable directly into the router LAN port.  Make sure you turn off wireless on the Mac as well.  Reboot or go into the control panel and make sure that you have a single ethernet connection (and that wireless is off).  To make sure, just reboot with the cable plugged in.

If no problems - there is some wireless conflict.

If problems with that config, the potential verizon issue.

Other areas to look at:  If your Belkin is ethernet connected, and you dont need the Actiontec wireless, turn off wireless on the actiontec.  you may have an ethernet loop somewhere between wired and wireless.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Any Mac users out there who have had consistent Internet connectivity problems?
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
the work around, was it a Verizon router or another brand?  is this wireless issues or ar ethe computers wired through ehternet.
Message Edited by Provider7 on 01-02-2009 12:45 PM
0 Likes
revans4352
Are you wireless or wired?
0 Likes
mark1154

We have an iMac connected to the Actiontec router which has the co-ax cable from outside connected to it. My iBook laptop is in the next room on the same level of the house. I have a Belkin router cabled to the Actiontec which, after speaking to yet another Verizon tech, now acts as a "booster" but even changing the ethernet cable set-up didn't help any. As a matter of fact I had to wait 23 seconds for this "reply" page to load up.

There is nothing wrong with my iBook. Airport is working perfectly. I took it to the Apple Store nearby and sat there for 25 minutes logging on to as many websites as I could think of. There was no more then a 1.5 second delay in loading any of the websites. Came home and the same poor connectivity problems occured. And its not because I have Mac computers, which is what one of their techs told me, because my son and his friend have PCs and have the exact same poor connectivity here also. I can take my laptop into the room where the Actiontec router is located and the poor (and sometimes lack of) connectivity occurs there to.

I am totally disgusted with Verizon FIOS and waiting on the line for 30 minutes or more for tech support. Now I just want out of the 24 month contract and I'm waiting to hear what they say about that. 

0 Likes
ipnet
Enthusiast - Level 2

Get back to basics.  Turn off the Belkin and plug your iMac with an ethernet cable directly into the router LAN port.  Make sure you turn off wireless on the Mac as well.  Reboot or go into the control panel and make sure that you have a single ethernet connection (and that wireless is off).  To make sure, just reboot with the cable plugged in.

If no problems - there is some wireless conflict.

If problems with that config, the potential verizon issue.

Other areas to look at:  If your Belkin is ethernet connected, and you dont need the Actiontec wireless, turn off wireless on the actiontec.  you may have an ethernet loop somewhere between wired and wireless.

0 Likes
mark1154

If you are a Verizon Tech or just someone who knows a whole lot more than me and about 10-12 Verizon Techs I've spoken to over the last 11 months, I want you to know that I followed your directions about removing my Belkin router and once again attaching directly to the Actiontec...and so far everything has worked fine.

I do remember that when all this started in December of 2007 I had EYEF3 as the Airport wireless network that was being picked up by my iBook and that it consistently gave poor (or no) results. The only reason I tried the Belkin is because one of the Verizon techs told me to try it to see if it improved service. It did improve for a couple of months and then all the lack of connectivity started again. So the jury's still out on this now. We'll see if the actually has some stability in the long run.

Thanks for the suggestion. 

0 Likes
mole
I have had problems connecting my iMac purchased in July 08 to my Fios Actiontec router since I bought it. Last night I stumbled on to a possible explanation. When I disconnect the USB cable from my HP 7760 printer, my internet works great. I am using the cable supplied by HP. I have an appointment with my local Genius Bar later today. Will see if this is the answer to the problem and how to correct it. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you.
0 Likes
mark1154
I think I'm going to leave well enough alone. On the suggestion of IPNET in an above post I "got back to basics". I disconnected my Belkin router, put the ethernet cable from the iMac to one of the LAN ports of the Actiontec and so far everything has been perfect. I don't think I've had a dropped signal to my iBook since I changed that a week ago. Hard for me to believe that of all the people I've spoken to at Verizon (at least 10-12 different tech level people), including a 3-way conference call between a high level Verizon tech and an Actiontec rep, that suggestion was never made. I keep thinking that all of the before mentioned people had me plug the ethernet cable from the computer to the Actiontec WAN port. Maybe that was the error. I don't even know the difference between a LAN port and a WAN port. All I know is its working fine now (fingers crossed).
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Wan is the Broadband input to the router, lan is where you tie in your computers or additional routers, etc...

Just a Fyi...There is going to be a new firmware release for the actiontec routers that have some nice modifications to the wireless.  Hopefully they will resolve the issues Mac users face.

0 Likes
mark1154
Its taken so long to get this wireless connection to work right that I'm afraid to fool with it any more. Will the firmware upgrade notification be sent out in an email?
0 Likes