Re: Any Mac users out there who have had consistent Internet connectivity problems?
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

IF it's working don't touch it...As for the firmware update:  I don't believe we send out notifications about it but you can check for it from time to time by going to this website.

http://www2.verizon.net/micro/actiontec/actiontec.asp

0 Likes
Re: Any Mac users out there who have had consistent Internet connectivity problems?
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
The the biggest issue is that the language (i.e. terminolgy, lack of explanations, etc.) used is 'assumed' to be understood on both sides.  I took a call the other day from from a man who had been calling 4 days in a row, who had spoken to 6 different people, who couldn't get wireless working NOR could they get wired working on a PC.  The customer kept telling me he had his "DSL cord" plugged into the router and into the back of the "PC Tower".  It took almost and hour on the phone, but I had to educate him to stop thinking a phone cable (his DSL Cord) was same thing as ethernet cable.  To understand that the plugs needed to snap in.   We got wired, then got wireless.       EVERYBODY needs to slow down sometimes and listen, then go forward.
0 Likes
begreen

I was thinking about signing up but the online chat sales person said that FIOS will not work with my Mac wireless.

But it sounds like it can.

Anyone have a definete answer to this. We have 2 macbook pro laptops and I would prefer them to stay wireless.

THX

😄

0 Likes
Fuxed

Hi not a Mac user But, I had all i could do  To be able to stay on line? I had to ipconfig /release  and  ipconfig /renew every  half hour. After a

Day I  gave up..

I was testing Windows 7 and FIOS. Message from Verizon in a pop up window { WE Do not Support this  only Windows Vista and Windows

and at xp.} if that helps any.

Message Edited by Fuxed on 01-17-2009 04:54 PM
0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

Verizon's fios service works just as good on MAC as it does on Windows.  I can positively tell you that it is NOT Verizon's policy that it does NOT support WIndows 7, nor MACs.  The things Verizon does not support are the OS's NOLONGER supported by their creators.  HOWEVER, that does not mean that you cannot use any of those other programs.  Verizon chooses to reduce its overall costs ( a good, normal and acceptable business practice) by not supplying tech people to work with a customer on those other OS's because if whatever is causing the issue happens to be something that the user needs to get the fix for from the OS creator, and they can't then get it because it is not supported by the creator, then Verizon would have been wasting time.   MS nolonger its older OS's, etc.   But 'networking' is networking.  If you know what you are doing with your OS, you can get it to work.  Fios does, however, bring greator content to the end user, and that may be an issue with an older computer, but . ..       AND, yes, it is unfortunate that not everybody is current on the lastest and greatest OS's (Windows 7) and it may have happened that ( a ) customer support person did not know how to assist someone and made a personal decision to say s\he did not support something or even that the company did not, but that would have been a mistake and should have been pursued to a higher level.

mark1154

Could it be that most of the Verizon FIOS techs don't really have a clue in solving some of the problems that they are confronted with by phone. I went through Heck for over a year with poor, unsatisfactory and non-existent wireless service based on the initial set-up of their Actiontec router to my computer. After going through probably 10-12 different Verizon tech people at ALL levels, over two months, they offering any and all suggestions on how to correct the problem, it took one guy on this forum, a year later, to tell me to start from scratch, remove my Belkin router (which was one of the suggestions by a Verizon tech) plug the ethernet cord into the Mac's ethernet slot, plug the other end of the cord into the Actiontec's LAN port.....NOT WAN PORT...and since he suggested that, everything has worked perfectly for weeks. One of their techs told me they didn't support Macs and that the problem was in my computers!! Pretty poor judgement since we also have two PCs in the house who suffered from the same poor service. Did I tell you that Verizon even sent me a 2nd Actiontec router figuring that the first one was defective? Also, did I mention that Verizon provided a conference call between one of their highest level techs and the Actiontec Company. None of whom could offer any trouble shooting solutions.

I was fully prepared to break my contract with Verizon FIOS (and not have to pay any penalty because of unsatisfactory service) until IPNET in a few posts above this helped me out on this forum. I contacted their Termination office and left a message. A CSR called me back but I couldn't take the call. She said she would try later. That was 3 weeks ago!!  and I tried to call them back twice and left messages. Did someone tell me a while back that Verizon had one of the poorest customer service records in the industry (or any industry). However, since its working now I'll stay with Verizon until my contract expires in Dec, 2009 and then make a decision on a new carrier ot not.

It would also help if Verizon weren't so stingy on Movies on Demand. Why they charge $2.99 for 25 year old movies and offer very few free ones is beyond me. Verizon should look at what Comcast offers FREE on Movies on Demand. 

Message Edited by mark1154 on 01-18-2009 05:53 AM
0 Likes
begreen

Most service companies seem clueless about mac set up.My dad is quest and my uncle is comcast both have had many issues with service in the past and I had to set their macs up for these services. It is frustrating but I can manage to get things going.

Usually it lies within the routers/modems and most help desks are following a script when talking to customers about technical issues and when something out of the ordinary comes up they can be like deer in headlights. 

I have researched many diferent work around for getting my macs to work wirelessly through FIOS so I figure an hour or 2 of my own time troubleshooting/set up after the FIOS tech leaves I read if you are hardwired with a mac no problems.

My reason for switching is mostly a cost decision. I will end up paying about the same for phone tv internet but get more speed more channels more hd and free ld phone dvr.....

If I had the same tv package with comcast dvr movies etc I would pay almost the same for just the tv as I will for all 3.

We will see what happens. I hope it will be worth it.

Message Edited by begreen on 01-18-2009 11:42 AM
0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

The issue of people not having as much knowledge about operating systems other than Windows is old news.   'What most people use' is what most people 'know how to fix'.  From a business perspective, there would always have to be 'levels' of support:  (a) included and (b) premium support. Financially it may be feasible to teach the level 1 (included) tech support people how to handle [ covered ] issues on [ the most used operating systems ], but not feasible to cover [ all ] issues, nor [ all ] operating systems for as many issues as covered on

[ the most used ] operating systems.    Verizon told us that although their Level 1 tech support people would know how to handle more 'connectivity' issues on Windows machines, if we were having 'connectivity' issues on any other operating system, the tech support person may not know about that operating system and would only then be able to provide the basic information, which is what level 1 support is required to do. Verizon has an 'Expert Care' level 2 support offering.

Re: Apple user-ipodtouch, imac etal sudden/ consistent Internet connectivity problems?
terraham

I started having wireless connectivity issues with all my aplle products.  Have tried various turning off sequences--turning off wireless--etc.  Still issues--including Ipod touch andMac book.

Everything worked--then suddenly it did not--techs are NO help with Apple issues. 

0 Likes
Re: Any Mac
terraham
I tried to download from this Actiontec updates from the site--as noted earliersite--and it kept saying I do not have/cannot open RMT files---is there a program to open the RMt thta is needed or a simpler download?  Thanks!
Message Edited by terraham on 01-25-2009 10:46 AM
0 Likes