Any ideas?
BMessick
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

We recently had a really bad thunder and lightning storm which knocked the router out of commission. I had to call to get it up and running again, which it is except for: 3 of 4  connections are working-the 4th, a computer socket, will not function. The other 2 and the wifi are working fine. We already tried changing the cable from the box to that computer. Any ideas as to what could be wrong or how I could call and get an actual person to come to the house to fix this? Thanks for any help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Any ideas?
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Either the switch port on the router (socket) could be bad, or you could have a problem with the PC.

As a test, try moving the cable for the PC to a known working port.

If it works, the problem is the switch port and you need to request a new router from VZ.

If it doesn;t work connected to the known working port, then you have a PC problem.

View solution in original post

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Either the switch port on the router (socket) could be bad, or you could have a problem with the PC.

As a test, try moving the cable for the PC to a known working port.

If it works, the problem is the switch port and you need to request a new router from VZ.

If it doesn;t work connected to the known working port, then you have a PC problem.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I had a similar experience with lightning.  I lost all but one port on the router.  After a few months, it died too.  Verizon replaced the router at no charge; even upgraded me to a 802.11n model.

Bottom line, if you think its the router, call Verizon.

Good luck.

0 Likes
BMessick
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for your input. I did call Verizon. We tried the switch the plug and have determined that the puter is the problem. 

Again, thank you for your time.

0 Likes