Any new (Oct 2011) info on Wireless N FIOS routers?
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

Yes, I know there are numerous older threads about this, but nothing recent.  So I'm wondering if anyone has any current info about the possibility of obtaining a FIOS Wireless N router.  I'd like to use the higher speeds and range for streaming HD video; my current G router just doesn;t cut it for that.

0 Likes
Re: Any new (Oct 2011) info on Wireless N FIOS routers?
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

You're right, this has been covered multiple times.  Nothing has changed.

So unless you're going to order 150/35, your best best is to buy your own N access point.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

To be honest, Wireless N doesn't really improve range in the base spec. Manufacturers might be using proprietary methods to boost range and speed over distance but there isn't a lot that can be done short of boosting transmit powers (which are limited by the FCC) and by installing higher gain antennas. MIMO (which is included in the Wireless N spec) does improve range and speed by line of sight, but otherwise around corners and tough-to-penetrate objects, G holds out much better. But you're right, nothing has changed. You still have to get your own Wireless N AP unless you're willing to pay for 150Mbps/35Mbps service for a month.

0 Likes
swedishhammer
Enthusiast - Level 1

I too agree it is very odd that people signing up for the very first time with Verizon FiOS gets an 802.11g router.

I have seen the response that 802.11n will not be supported and even if it's sent out it's only with business type services.

As a customer I don't think it's acceptable. Verizon may think it is. I I still spent a couple of minutes escalating this within the support. They should hear about this and often. Support and even the field technicians are unaware of the latest hardware being installed is not supporting 802.11n, my technician told me it was but it was very quick to confirm it was not once FiOS was active.

I understand comments like  'go out and buy your own' equipment, but I also understand the frustration from people wanting the latest technology.  My feeling is, if Verizon is pushing the edge in providing fiber with highest quality connections and speed, why not use the best possible hardware as well?

Keep asking for it, hopefully they will listen.

weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

I solved my Wireless N issue by going over to Microcenter and buying a Linksys router.

Simple.

No hassles.

No headaches.

0 Likes