Re: Any schedule for faster internet in the Boston area?
newdaddy
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Smith6612 wrote:

Hmm, ok. In this case the Zyxel Prestige 861 would happen to be a VDSL modem. According to some specifications I've found on that modem, it does do VDSL, and it's max speed is 52Mbps/26Mbps assuming asymmentrical, or 25Mbps up and down for symmentrical service. So, it does seem as though you had an MDU install with the lesser VDSL option. Probably not by choice of Verizon though.

Verizon typically limits the VDSL ONTs to about 20Mbps/5Mbps, to perhaps a Max of 25Mbps/15Mbps, essentially all of the older tiers except 50Mbps/20Mbps.

Am I stuck with the VDSL modem? Is there anything that I (or Verizon) can do to upgrade the whole infrastructure, short of tearing down the condo complex? 

0 Likes
Re: Any schedule for faster internet in the Boston area?
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

NewDaddy wrote:
Am I stuck with the VDSL modem? Is there anything that I (or Verizon) can do to upgrade the whole infrastructure, short of tearing down the condo complex? 

Essentially you are stuck with the VDSL modem.   It was either not practical for VZ to run fiber to each unit, or your condo board did not give permission for VZ to do so.

0 Likes