Any way I can find out which router I will receive?
bbrown9
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just signed up for FIOS and I don't recall seeing anywhere in the process which router I would be receiving. I found a page on Verizon's site that said depending on when I got the router, it would either be a D-link, the actiontec (or a verizon-branded version of 1), or the 9100em, but it doesn't give a clue as to which one to expect if I just placed an order.

Any idea how I can find out?

0 Likes
Re: Any way I can find out which router I will receive?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@bbrown9 wrote:

I just signed up for FIOS and I don't recall seeing anywhere in the process which router I would be receiving. I found a page on Verizon's site that said depending on when I got the router, it would either be a D-link, the actiontec (or a verizon-branded version of 1), or the 9100em, but it doesn't give a clue as to which one to expect if I just placed an order.

Any idea how I can find out?

Well, you wont be getting the D-link. Verizon has not used them in a couple of years now. You will either get the actiontec or the westell. Depends on which one the tech has on his truck when he arrives to do the install. For all intents and purposes they are basically the same router as they both use the same internal software.

One thing you can do though, when the tech gets there to do the install. ask him to use Ethernet to run from the ONT to the router. That way after he leaves, you can replace the verizon router with a router of your own choice and then it wouldnt matter.

If you do decide to use your own router, the only thing you will have to be concerned about is if you get the verizon TV service, If you do then you would need a little more work that we can go into if needed.

bbrown9
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'll be getting TV but I won't be getting a STB. I have a Tivo, so I'll be getting a cable card. I assume that if I don't have the STB, I can still do ethernet instead of coax, correct?

Also, if I have both coax and ethernet already running from where the ONT  will be installed to where the router will be, can I switch from one to the other without an issue or does Verizon need to do something to switch from coax to ethernet and vice versa?

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

yeah, using tivo means you dont have any verizon interactive systems so you dont need the verizon router. so you are good there

as for coax and ethernet. the verizon ONT can only do one or the other. so to switch between them you would have to call tech support and have them switch it if you were going to change. It would be better (IMO) to just have ethernet from the start. Ethernet just gives you more choices.

0 Likes
abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3

No you cannot switch from ethernet to co-ax. It depends on the type of ONT installed.

0 Likes
MDFiOS
Enthusiast - Level 3

My understanding is Vz is using the the Westell router for West customers and Actiontec for east customers.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MDFiOS wrote:

My understanding is Vz is using the the Westell router for West customers and Actiontec for east customers.

I received a Westell last month in MA

0 Likes
MDFiOS
Enthusiast - Level 3

Maybe I have the split backwards ?? Could be Westell for the East and Actiontec for the West.

Anyone else with recent installs post their router type?

0 Likes
mleduc35651
Contributor - Level 2

There is a thread on a change to which states are giving out which routers over here http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23231654-Router-Model-deployment-changes-coming