Anyone else being routed from out of thier state ???
stereo55
Enthusiast - Level 3

I live in Calif , and Ive had FIOS internet for about 3-4 yrs and have always had an IP addy of 171.xxx or 172.xxx and was always routed pretty localy from within my state .  Only  recently has my IP addy has changed to a 173.xxx and is now being routed out of Kansas (around Wichita) ???  Even though this "IS" a Verizon FIOS hub what the heck is Verizon thinking here ?  This re-routing is now causing high pings (gaming) and online HD streaming content to lag like crazy .  

Ive been by-passing the Actiontec router for years ( Actiontec used only for FIOS tv service) and been using my own  Dlink (655) N equipment (wired) and never had a high ping or HD lag till my IP location was changed .

Ive yet to call Verizon about this , but will do so this comming week to in order to get some sort of  answer to this idiot move on thier part .

So , anyone have this re-routing out of state problem ???

TIA .

stereo55

0 Likes
Re: Anyone else being routed from out of thier state ???
Justin46
Legend

Some months ago my IP address changed to 173.74.x.x from 71.164.x.x, and yeah, I appeared to have moved overnight to Kansas or somewhere up there, instead of remaining in Texas. Since I don't do any gaming or HD streaming, it didn't really bother me too much. After a few weeks suddenly I was back home where I belonged, I didn't do anything, although of course someone else that was also affected may have complained. I suspect if you can wait it out you will experience the same thing. Of course it won't hurt to call and report it, other than perhaps frustration on your part waiting to talk to someone.

Keller, TX 76248

stereo55
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks Justin for the info . Smiley Wink

I just fired off an email to verizon support to see what the say , but I'll probably get a generic answer .

Guess I can wait it out for a few and see what happens in the near future if Iam re-routed back to within my state and that this move is only temporary . If things dont improve in reasonable time then I guess a call will be needed  .

Message Edited by stereo55 on 02-14-2009 11:18 AM
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Based on what I have seen and heard, an email won't do anything useful, it will just raise your blood pressure.

There are some terrific Verizon techs that monitor this forum. You could send one of them a private message (envelope in the upper right corner of this site) asking for help, they have also been very helpful in getting issues resolved. Techman28, for example, was very helpful to me some time back.

Another possibility: If you have not done so in the past, go to www.dslreports.com, register (it is free), then go to the Verizon Direct forum at that site. They have an agreement with Verizon for Verizon techs to provide tech support, and they have some really good guys there (Gustavo helped me out several years ago). If you post there, they will need some info from you about your account, but nobody but you and the Verizon people can see your information, or your posts. Great way to get techichnical things resolved, without the phone frustration.

I suggest you try one of the above.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
clydesdale1

I live in Northern NJ and about 3 weeks ago when I went to some particular websites like Google, Expedia, Travelocity, Continental, etc. it was automatically re-directing me the Canadian version of the site.  So I would type in www.google.com but would get automatically re-directed to www.google.ca.  In the case of google you can actually use www.google.com/ncr to avoid this re-direction (ncr - no country redirection).   Other sites you have to find the right options to change to US - English.    My IP address is now something like 74.105.x.x and I never really even cared about my public ip address in the past.   I am not sure why google and other sites think this IP address is in Canada so I don't know if they are wrong or if Verizon wasn't aware of the unintended consequence of assigning IP addresses that are earmarked for other countries.  I called support today and they don't know a thing and haven't heard of this problem before.  I can't believe I am the only customer having this issue.    

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@clydesdale wrote:

I can't believe I am the only customer having this issue.    

You are definitely not the only customer having this issue. I have seen reports that some folks appear to be in the wrong state but still in the US, others in Canada, and even some in France.

Here are a couple of links:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21930523-New-FIOS-IP-Range-173xxx-mapped-to-FRANCE

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21918025-The-internet-thinks-Im-in-Canada

Just some light reading....  Smiley Very Happy 

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
ct124
Enthusiast - Level 3
I had this problem months ago, I was being redirected to Google's UK site.  Also several webistes, youtube. disney, weather.com for example would not lod up.  After literally 60+ hours on the phone with customer diservice, they admitted there was a problem and fixed it on their end.  Keep caaing them ad be persistent, the should fix it.
0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
This sounds like it might be something like a maintenance issue, perhaps.   They may be temporarily shutting down local servers for maintenance, in which case one would have to be routed elsewhere.  -Nature of the internet.  In fact, that's one of the abilities that originally got the government to fund the development of the net . ..    ' ..in the event of an emergency over here we can still communicate by going arond that, in another route...'   It might not be maintenance though. something may have become broken.
0 Likes
threepac3
Enthusiast - Level 2
Same issue... Had this issue a month ago where when I did speed tests I would show up as being out of Kansas. It really started when my DHCP address was changed to 174.x.x.x from 63.x.x.x IP address.
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

DITTO

I am usually 71.X.X.X something then I get 173.X.X.X something from time to time. Perhaps if I go back to my old PPPOE account I used before TV was installed with the Actiontec. Worked with the same account name and password I had with DSL. PPPOE now works with default verizonfios as account and password. Perhaps if I use my old account it will keep it local.

This was mentioned in my post last month titled Subnet Roulette. Yea I notice when it switched subnets things are not as good. I asked if it was a maintenance issue, but never got anywhere. I think it even told me once I was in Washington state. I am in Washington DC area. Maryland to be more exact.

Message Edited by prisaz on 02-18-2009 06:19 PM
0 Likes