Anyone else seeing better-than-ever speeds?
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I was reconfiguring an old Win XP laptop this evening and when I was about done I ran a test on  speedtest.net to see how the configuration was performing.  I was surprised to see better than ever download speeds.  I ran the same test on my Win 7 desktop machine and got the same results and then almost exactly the same numbers on the FiOS speedtest.

Speeds were: 43.12 Mb/s down; 31.96 Mb/s up. 

I'm paying for 35/20.  I've always seen better than 20 mb/s up but my downstream has always been consonantly right at 35 mb/s.   I'm sure not complaining, but I'm curious.  Is anyone else seeing this spike in downstream?  And can anyone speculate what might be behind it?

edit:  By way of a further test I just download a 699 MB Ubuntu distro file.  The download ran under 2 minutes at a rock solid and steady 5.3 MB/s.  Whew.  I like it.

Re: Anyone else seeing better-than-ever speeds?
ronzie1
Contributor - Level 2

Yeah, I'm getting around 43mbps downloading from my usenet provider, and 42mbps from http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/, on what is supposed to be a 35/35 connection.  My upload speed, according to Speakeasy, is only around 12mbps, though, which is the usuaI upstream speed I get, according to this measure.  I never could figure out why that is so low, the tweak test at broadbandreports claims I have optimum settings.

I hope this higher download speed is a free upgrade, and not a fluke!

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm showing 31.5 up and 21.5 down on a 25/25 connection.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Yes. Google it. What the policy is many do not know, and I have not seen an announcement from Verizon. My 35/35 is now doing 42-43 down. The entire footprint is said to be going to 50 Mbps availability, where many areas would not support it. The Cnet article in June said DC Metro area topped out at 30. I think not. I have had 35/35 for a little while.

http://www.google.com/search?q=fios%20speed%20increase&hl=en&ned=us&tab=nw

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Yes, prisaz, I Googled it.  The first several pages of replies all were dated a year to two ago.  Rather than wade through all that I came here.

Anyway, thanks to all for the replies.  I guess once again Verizon moves in mysterious ways but at least in this case, I'm liking it.  I'm happy to hear that this isn't just a fluke at my location and I hope it isn't temporary.

Our local cable company is Cablevision.   A standard theme on forums about their service is "My speeds suck."   I may not be able to resist pointing a few of my friends who are still cable subscribers to this thread. 🙂

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@eljefe wrote:

Yes, prisaz, I Googled it.  The first several pages of replies all were dated a year to two ago.  Rather than wade through all that I came here.

Anyway, thanks to all for the replies.  I guess once again Verizon moves in mysterious ways but at least in this case, I'm liking it.  I'm happy to hear that this isn't just a fluke at my location and I hope it isn't temporary.

Our local cable company is Cablevision.   A standard theme on forums about their service is "My speeds suck."   I may not be able to resist pointing a few of my friends who are still cable subscribers to this thread. 🙂

You are correct. That was two years old. I suppose I need to pay closer attention to detail. I have been short on attention lately. I suspect we should here something official. I have asked for it.

0 Likes
rupok93
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes I was wondering about this too. i am getting over 30mbps download on my 25/25 connection. Good job verizon, you guys are looking like a pretty cool company now.