Anyone stiil using yahoo.com after verizon tookover?
user310
Enthusiast - Level 1

Seem like some disgruntled employees at yahoo have broken some stuff at yahoo.com after they were bought out. Now yahoo pretty much just fowards to hxxps://voluumtrk.horizon-trading.com/ and tries to install malware. Just click on any news article and try reading it and your browser will be hijacked.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Anyone stiil using yahoo.com after verizon tookover?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's probably a bad advertisement. That happens all the time on various websites, not necessarily Yahoo. Stuff like this is the reason why I run an Adblocker, and is something I wish the ad industry would get around to fixing, if they want to continue showing ads to me.

It wouldn't hurt though to give your computer a scan with MalwareBytes, and ensure your HOSTS file and extensions are clear of anything malicious.

jonjones1
Legend

Amazing that originally the spam amounts in most of my throw away accounts received no spam mail. Now the spam catcher piled loads of it in the spam folder. I don't use yahoo or AOL for any news. So it does not affect me. The other reply you received is spot on. I use mailwarebytes on all my machines.

0 Likes
user310
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well then verizon needs to fix their ad filtering as this malware only exist on yahoo.com not on any other sites such as google ads. I'm fed up with the yahoo malware and have reduced my browser time spent on yahoo.  They have great news content but too much malware.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I just tried and had no issues.

As Smith said, sounds like your PC may have been compromised.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm still siding on the fact that your PC has something going on with it. Yahoo and Verizon are both security concious companies. Besides the fact that malware ads do occasionally slip by, and yes I've seen them, those ads typically don't last too long at all before they are discovered and pulled down.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Smith6612 wrote:

I'm still siding on the fact that your PC has something going on with it. Yahoo and Verizon are both security concious companies. Besides the fact that malware ads do occasionally slip by, and yes I've seen them, those ads typically don't last too long at all before they are discovered and pulled down.

You are kidding right? I know you were joking. Yahoo and Verizon have had and still have loads of security breaches. Google them. But you made me laugh first thing on this August 1st. 😀

user310
Enthusiast - Level 1

@jonjones wrote:

You are kidding right? I know you were joking. Yahoo and Verizon have had and still have loads of security breaches. Google them. But you made me laugh first thing on this August 1st. 😀

I agree. I think the problem is on yahoo.com it has been hijacking my browser each time I leave the browser open on their page. It just hijacks it to hxxps://voluumtrk.horizon-trading.com and it has been for serval months. Definitely disgruntled employee not doing their job.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I had no issue when I accessed the site.

And I beleive my wife does frequently.

Have you tried another browser and/or another computer to see if you have the same issue?

0 Likes
user310
Enthusiast - Level 1

@CRobGauth wrote:

I had no issue when I accessed the site.

And I beleive my wife does frequently.

Have you tried another browser and/or another computer to see if you have the same issue?

I m using firefox on a mac, and today is even worst it has infected yahoo mail. I can't even access mail, it just sends me to malware page after a couple of second once logged in. So time to abondon yahoo and maybe verizon too given the lax security.

0 Likes