Anyway to Turn on my FIOS Internet Myself?
adrianvfx
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently moved into my new home, and the service tech won't be here for a week. The home already has an ONT installed and several outlets throughout the home ready for verizon fios. I have a router as well and everything plugged in. The router shows COAX status "disconnected" is there any way to call support and have the Coax turned on for my new residence?

This way I don't have to wait a week for the tech to come out and just have it done myself!

Thanks

Re: Anyway to Turn on my FIOS Internet Myself?
mhiggins8450
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is my two cents...

Unless you have a background in this type of installation, I would strongly suggest you do not try to do this on your own. I can imagine the amount of anticipation and excitemnt you may be going through but I can guarantee that feeling would be increased ten fold if you take this on yourself and mess something up. Additionally, anything you do on your own may not be covered by Verizon. If something goes wrong, you may be liable for any repairs.

If I may share an example. We are getting a new 60" TV next month. My fiancee wants it hung on the wall. I work with people who hang TVs with their eyes closed (find the stud, affix the mounts, mount the TV)...seems easy right. I am sure, with patience and simply following the directions, I could do it on my own. However, I know my limitations and would rather a professional take care of it. This way if anything does go wrong, it is covered. If I mount the TV myself and it falls, not only am I out a $1300 TV but I may have to make repairs to the wall.

Again, just my two cents.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@adrianvfx wrote:

I recently moved into my new home, and the service tech won't be here for a week. The home already has an ONT installed and several outlets throughout the home ready for verizon fios. I have a router as well and everything plugged in. The router shows COAX status "disconnected" is there any way to call support and have the Coax turned on for my new residence?

This way I don't have to wait a week for the tech to come out and just have it done myself!

Thanks

My 2¢ worth...just a guess.

I'd give it a 50/50 chance that given the details you've outlined, and assuming you have a Verizon Actiontec router, you may be able to call tech support and ask them to enable your ONT.

I disagree with mhiggins8450 in that I don't think you have anything to lose by giving it a try.  Call 1800-VERIZON, navigate through to FiOS support, give them the details of your situation and ask them if they can get you going.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If everything is already connected and the ONT is powered from a previous installation, Verizon should be able to fire up all of the services for you. You will have to insist on a self install and maybe provide some proof there is a working ONT at the location. Verizon should be able to tell if there is a working one, though.