Apartment Fios Gigabit router setup advice
Joyfulchaos

Hello,

I’ve been doing some research and after getting so confuse and undecided, I decided at least post this comment and see if anybody in the community will help me.

I am looking to setup my new network on a new apartment and: 

1.- I will be in an apartment complex tons of WiFis.

2.- I will be using Verizon Fios Gigabit Connection.

3.- I will be doing some gaming so I will like a smart QOS option that won’t impact the performance of the network throughput , also for FaceTime, VoIP. 

4.- I will have multiple IOT devices, 4K steaming devices, tablets, etc 

5.- My budget is limited 

6.- The Apartment is around 680 square feet 

7.- I will not be using Verizon router, I will be adding a MoCA adapter for the TV box (I know the current limitation of this configuration) 

8.- relatability, performance will be great. 

I am considering setup Ubiquity equipment for this setup but I am concern about the Smart QOS option with their hardware and limiting the gigabit connection 

There are couple of other routers that I was looking, NetGear XR500 but the QOS is limited to device and some specific services for what I read, and a little bit over price. 

Do you have any advice in what to use?

Thanks 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Apartment Fios Gigabit router setup advice
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can't recommend a particular router.

I would recommend that if you have an android device, download an app called wifi analyzer.

It can recommend the best wifi channel to use in your situation.

Hard code your wifi to that channel vs using the default auto that a lot of devices use.

Read the using your own router thread in this forum to make sure you get all of the proper ports open to best use your STB.

Might want to be a bit more specific on your "limited" budget.

To some people that can be $100. To others, that could be $300.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can't recommend a particular router.

I would recommend that if you have an android device, download an app called wifi analyzer.

It can recommend the best wifi channel to use in your situation.

Hard code your wifi to that channel vs using the default auto that a lot of devices use.

Read the using your own router thread in this forum to make sure you get all of the proper ports open to best use your STB.

Might want to be a bit more specific on your "limited" budget.

To some people that can be $100. To others, that could be $300.

jonjones1
Legend

Just use the Netgear R8500 Nighthawk it’s reliable and you don’t need QOS enabled.

it slows things down.

Price May have dropped down from $400 when I purchased it. Netgear now has two new routers above this one. And I read another in the works. Not sure if that was released yet.

a nice Asus or TP Link also is a good choice. An ubiquity Router has good reviews.

its best to go higher end now so you can just get firmware updates to open new possibilities and stability.

never go cheap.