Switch Account

Apple Airport Express instead of Fios Modem?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Apple Airport Express instead of Fios Modem?

Message 1 of 2
(301 Views)

Hello friends.  Can I used an Apple Airport Express 2nd Generation with Fios instead renting the Fios wireless router?  

I am new to Fios and am getting TV + Internet installed soon.  Fios will set me up with the main box (ONT, I assume) and I will be renting a Fios wireless modem for internet. 

I currently have Spectrum cable/internet use an Apple Airport Express 2nd Generation for my wireless internet.  The Airport connects to my Spectrum box with an Ethernet cable.  

Can I do the same set up with Fios?  That is, can I just opt out of the Fios router rental and use my Airport Express to generate my wireless internet signal? 

If yes, what are the pros/cons?

(I’ve reviewed similar questions here but some were very old)

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Gold Contributor VI Gold Contributor VI
Gold Contributor VI

Re: Apple Airport Express instead of Fios Modem?

Message 2 of 2
(278 Views)

Repeat after me:

FiOS does not use modems.

The ONT in FiOS is similar to a modem in a cable setup, but it is not a modem.

The router in FiOS is just that, a router.  It does have some extra features used by FiOS, including MoCA (coax) LAN and WAN, built in network settings/controls for Verizon set-top-boxes, and an encrypted control channel to their infrastructure used to enable stuff like app control of router settings and support.

You can use a non-Verizon router as primary with FiOS, however this has two significant issues:

• Verizon provides zero support past the ONT.
  • Verizon set-top-boxes work best with a Verizon router, especially the latest FiOS ONE boxes.

If you enjoy building and maintaining networks, then I say go for it!  If  you want a solution that "just works" and is supported by Verizon, stick with a Verizon router.

Note that if you were getting internet only, it's much easier to use a non-Verizon router since you don't need to support the set-top-boxes.

Here's a good place to explore options:

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/14077

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Gold Contributor VI Gold Contributor VI
Gold Contributor VI

Re: Apple Airport Express instead of Fios Modem?

Message 2 of 2
(279 Views)

Repeat after me:

The ONT in FiOS is similar to a modem in a cable setup, but it is not a modem.

The router in FiOS is just that, a router.  It does have some extra features used by FiOS, including MoCA (coax) LAN and WAN, built in network settings/controls for Verizon set-top-boxes, and an encrypted control channel to their infrastructure used to enable stuff like app control of router settings and support.

You can use a non-Verizon router as primary with FiOS, however this has two significant issues:

• Verizon provides zero support past the ONT.
  • Verizon set-top-boxes work best with a Verizon router, especially the latest FiOS ONE boxes.

If you enjoy building and maintaining networks, then I say go for it!  If  you want a solution that "just works" and is supported by Verizon, stick with a Verizon router.

Note that if you were getting internet only, it's much easier to use a non-Verizon router since you don't need to support the set-top-boxes.

Here's a good place to explore options:

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/14077

View solution in original post

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.