Re: Apple Airport Extreme Base Station with FiOS Router
whazzup2

@viafax999 wrote:

@whazzup wrote:

I hope you all are still there --

My tale of woe is that I've been having random diconnects from FIOS with the Actiontec router since I got a new AEBS in March. I've worked with Verizon and Apple and they both tell me about a conflict, but neither supports the other. So I found this thread.

My AEBS is attached from Actiontec LAN to AEBS WAN

If I understand correctly, then I should be ok now that my AEBS IP address is 198.168.1.9 -- as long as the AEBS is different I am ok. Then I saw this that the next to last digit needs to be different. How critical do I need a 192.168.2.x vs 192.168.1.x where the last digit is not 1? And how do I do that? There is something called "Connect using: DHCP" which doesn't allow me to change the address. However, I can coose "Static" in the dropdown and choose the address. I would prefer not to do that if I can avoid it.

I would really appreciate some guidance. Thank you.

very critical
the subnet that airport express is using for it's wireless connections must be a different subnet (192.168.2) to the verizon router subnet (192.168.1).  However the Airport express WAN port is on the verizon subnet so must have an address 192.168.1.x where x is any other number than 1 so 192.168.1.9 is fine.  And yes you could say connect by dhcp which saves you the annoyance of picking a static address and mucking about with the defauly gateway and dns server addresses to as the dhcp assigment will provide all those too.

Please help me to understand this ... And thank you for your patience.

I connect my Airport Extreme Base Station WAN port to the Actiontec LAN port. The AEBS is assigned 192.168.1.9. That's ok.

The devices (computers, phones, iPads, etc) that connect wirelessly to the AEBS need to have an address of 192.168.2.x? That's not happening. the addresses are 10.0.1.x. Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@whazzup wrote:

Please help me to understand this ... And thank you for your patience.

I connect my Airport Extreme Base Station WAN port to the Actiontec LAN port. The AEBS is assigned 192.168.1.9. That's ok.

The devices (computers, phones, iPads, etc) that connect wirelessly to the AEBS need to have an address of 192.168.2.x? That's not happening. the addresses are 10.0.1.x. Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help

That's ok the AEBS is seto to use dhcp range 10.0.1  that's still a private range and actually is preferable to use over the 192.168 ranges as they are the mor normal ones that are handed out.
Do your wifi devices get to the internet OK?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should consider bridging your Apple Airport Extreme Base Station. It sounds like you're dealing with Double NAT and a whole mess of other things which don't need to be on. Make the Airport into a switch / access point. The Airport Utility should give you the option to set the "Internet" connection to bridge mode.

Also note, the Airport should only have one connection made back to the ActionTec. If you have a wireless repeater mode + ethernet cable connecting back to the ActionTec, or of you have two cables connecting back to the ActionTec, what you have is a loop. This will cause the same problems.