Apple Airport + FIOS config?
chollie47

I'm trying to configure my Airport to see my FIOS wireless network, so that I can stream music wirelessly via the Airport, but without success.

My system:  iMac running OSX 10.5.8

Problems:  I think I'm getting hung up on Wireless security.  The FIOS router seems to be using 64 bit, but there's no matching setting on the Airport, only 40 or 128 bit.  I've also tried "WEP (Transitional Security Network)", "WPA/WPA2 Personal" and "WPA2 Personal" without success.

I'm assuming that I need to

-connect to my Airport with Ethernet cable to configure it initially

-In the first selection dialog, select "I want Airport Express to join my current network"

-In the second dialog, select "I want Airport Express to wirelessly join my current network?

-Then I choose from among the security/encryption options

-unplug Airport from power, disconnect Ethernet, reconnect power and it should work, no?

When I go through that cycle with "WEP", it says that the 'specific wireless network can't be found'.

When I go through that cycle with "WPA/WPA2 Personal", the Airport Utility says it's successful, but when I plug in the Airport again, without Ethernet cable it flashes Amber and stops working. 

When I use "WPA2 Personal", it says that the 'specific wireless network can't be found'.

Can't find other posts that might help, but hoping you can!

0 Likes
Re: Apple Airport + FIOS config?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

64 = 40 in your particular situation.

However, I would suggest you connect your Mac to the router directly via ethernet cable, navigate to the router (192.168.1.1), login and under the wireless settings, select Advanced Wireless Settings, and change your setup to WPA2.  Much better for security.

Re: Apple Airport + FIOS config?
chollie47

Worked - thanks!

The only complexity is that the router had to be set to WPA on the Advanced settings, even though it appears to be possible in the basic settings - other than that - great!

0 Likes