SOLVED: iOS Devices bizarrely WIFI Connection to Fios Router
Sortatechie
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sometime in between 1am and 6:30 am 9/26/19 my iPad, IPhone developed bizarre WiFi symptoms. No WiFi icon but shows connected in settings; some apps like browser work on iPad only but not Alexa, can connect to FiOS TV App but not home DVR. Affected Devices show connected on myFIOS app but status is not always current. 

Rebooted router via app, power cycled VERIZON extender and separately Quantum router, without  effect.

Called VERIZON tech support who after unsuccessful similar steps, an IP renewal and a factory reset,  setup service call to replace router and equipment due to suspected IP conflicts.

During the call I noticed VPN  button on both devices iOS settings flickering. VERIZON tech didn’t think that was an issue but iMac and other devices connecting  ok until factory reset (then all sorts of home devices like Echos started connecting and disconnecting).

I started VPN app ((Cloudfare 1.1.1.1) again which asked me to press one button to connect on Ioad. Then iPad worked normally. Repeated the same process in IPhone. Problem solved!

noticed when free 1.1.1.1 app came up it asked me whether I wanted new feature which has chargeable option. I hope they didn’t create this problem to market their paid product!

0 Likes