Apple Devices Not Consistently Maintaining Connection to Fios Router
nick90jg

So I have a handful of Apple devices, but I noticed my iPhone and iPad running iOS 11.0.1 are having trouble maintaining a wifi connection to my Fios Quantum router. If I restart the modem I can connect, but it won't continuously keep that connection and then I am unable to connect these two devices. I was just curious if anyone else is having this issue. I don't notice the issue on my AppleTV's running tvOS 11.0. I didn't have any issues until the last two days with this so I don't know if this is an issue with iOS 11.0.1 vs iOS 11.0. or what.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Apple Devices Not Consistently Maintaining Connection to Fios Router
jonjones1
Legend

To tell you the truth Verizon routers (they don’t use modems) are not the best for WiFi. Google it and read for yourself. Now having said that personally since the 11.0.0 and 11.0.1 many owners are having many issues they did not have prior to the iOS updates.

another thing to remember is that iOS devices have a power save feature that disconnects from network. 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7666049?start=0&tstart=0

This addresses the issue in iOS 10 but it exists in iOS 11 as well. Read all the solutions given.

Good Luck

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

To tell you the truth Verizon routers (they don’t use modems) are not the best for WiFi. Google it and read for yourself. Now having said that personally since the 11.0.0 and 11.0.1 many owners are having many issues they did not have prior to the iOS updates.

another thing to remember is that iOS devices have a power save feature that disconnects from network. 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7666049?start=0&tstart=0

This addresses the issue in iOS 10 but it exists in iOS 11 as well. Read all the solutions given.

Good Luck

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's known that Apple devices especially, tend to have problems with devices utilizing Beamforming. If a recent Verizon FiOS router update made adjustments to whether or not the radios do beamforming (implicit, explicit, explicit being used as part of the 802.11ac spec), this could be why Apple devices are starting to misbehave.

0 Likes
Re: SOLVED: iOS Devices bizarrely WIFI Connection to Fios Router
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I didn't think that Cloudfare APP was by Verizon. Is that what you are asking?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauth wrote:

I didn't think that Cloudfare APP was by Verizon. Is that what you are asking?

The poster is using a VPN (Cloudfair) and if I read the post correctly that is causing the issues. 

0 Likes
pdh2

My thoughts exactly... it is the end of the infamous Verizon 2 year cycle

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes