Aquiring Network Address...... Forever...
fjo302
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got a new work laptop.  It finds my home network but it just says "aquriring network address" forever and never connects.  How do you get someone on the phone to help?  I call and just go through a circle.  The 24 hr number says to call back during business hours even wheh I CALL  DURING business hours.  the store says they can't help.  The onely person I can get on the phone is the wireless people and they can't help.  Stuck 😞 God I can't wait to get rid of this!!! 😞

0 Likes
Re: Aquiring Network Address...... Forever...
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Are you trying to connect using a wired or wifi connection?

If wifi, did you configure your new laptop in the same configuration as your router is...WEP, WPA, etc?

If the problem is wifi, does the laptop get assigned an IP address if connected by Cat 5 to a port on your FiOS router?

0 Likes
fjo302
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's wireless and I was able to connect to the wireless network at work before I brought it home so I assume it's configured properly. 😞 

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think I see a couple issues here ...

First, you can't call "the store" to havem the help you with FiOS.  See the "Contact Us" link at the top right of this forum page?   Click that.   There's toll-free numbers for FiOS Internet (not wireless) as well as chat links for online chat.  I've used both, never had a problem although at certain times the wait on the phone side of things is protracted.  

As for WiFi ... just before it worked "at work" doesn't mean it will work at home unless you configure all of the necessary security codes, etc.    Have you done that?      Did you every get prompted to select the SSID of your router and were asked for a password?  If not, this is likely our root cause which we'll need to walk thru getting you to do.  The "Acquiring ..." message is usually indicative of a mismatch in security protocol/password or a router with Mac Authentication turned on. 

Have you tried plugging your laptop directly into the FiOS router?  Does it work?   That's always the first thing to try when you are having connectivity or performance issues.   Many people complain about performance issues only to troubleshooting reveal that it was a local wifi wireless issue (crowded channel, etc.) that had nothing to do with FiOS itself.

fjo302
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have email & called every contact I can find to no avail.  I've tried the chat and it just finally times out because no one ever comes on.  What number are you calling that you get through to a person? 

It did prompt me for the password and I put it in.  Then it just says "Acquiring Network Address" forever and just keeps saying that.  Not sure what else to do and can't get in touch with anyone.

I also don't want to sit on hold for 2 hrs and at $200 a month for just slow internet and tv, I don't think that's fair... sorry 😞  My bill is supposed to be $135 but they keep ripping me a new one every month and the only way I can get it to stop is to cancel my charge card 😞  Hopefully this will be over soon but in the mean time, I need to get my work laptop working if possible.  I will try to hardwire it right to my router but it would be nice to use it wireless 😞

0 Likes
fjo302
Enthusiast - Level 2

ok I hard wired the router right to the computer and still nothing.  this is horrible.  I'm off all week and they gave me the laptop so I could still log in 😞  I've had this same brand laptop with the same software (we have a bunch of them at work) and had no problems before.  I don't know what to do and I can't get anyone on the phone so I guess I'm out of luck?  I was hoping to get some help here  since you can't get them on the phone.

0 Likes
fjo302
Enthusiast - Level 2

p.s. It says it's been acquiring network address for 1 day & 21 hrs now 😞

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@fjo302 wrote:

It's wireless and I was able to connect to the wireless network at work before I brought it home so I assume it's configured properly. 😞 

Presumably from the above it is configured OK for your wireless access point at work.  You need to configure your home connection for your home wireless access point.  If you don't know what the key is go into the router admin and change it.  Also are you sure you have an adequate signal to connect to?

0 Likes
fjo302
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have another laptop that has been connected.  The work laptop is on the same desk and like I said, I've other laptops before with no problem. The router is under my desk.

I've never had to change the key before so I'm not sure what your talking about.  Usually when I bring a laptop home from work, I just search for wireles networks, find mine, connect, type in my password and everything is fine.  I'm doing the same thing this time except after I put my password in, it just says "aquiriring network address" and  just sits like that forever 😞  That's the problem I'm having and why I'm posting here.  Any suggestions???

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@fjo302 wrote:

I have another laptop that has been connected.  The work laptop is on the same desk and like I said, I've other laptops before with no problem. The router is under my desk.

I've never had to change the key before so I'm not sure what your talking about.  Usually when I bring a laptop home from work, I just search for wireles networks, find mine, connect, type in my password and everything is fine.  I'm doing the same thing this time except after I put my password in, it just says "aquiriring network address" and  just sits like that forever 😞  That's the problem I'm having and why I'm posting here.  Any suggestions???

The password you are typing in is the key - you got it off the bottom of the router???

What kind of router is this?

Moot point I guess anyway as you say it won't connect when it's hard wired either.  Do you get the same error message about acquiring network address when you attach via a hard wired connection?

The error message means that you network card (wireless and hard wired) is not obtaining an ip address - it's not finding the dhcp server on your router.  Would be interesting to see what the properties are for you network card.

Go to control panel and open up network connections

right mouse click the Local Area Connection icon

Highlight Internet protocol (TCP/IP) and select properties

What does it say??  - Should be obtain an IP address automatically

0 Likes