Are Fios Internet Speeds "Relative" based on the top limit?
Matt0427

I apologize because I don't know exactly how to ask this...but...

Quick version: Are internet plan speeds I can get "relative" based on their top mbps limit or is it just that speeds are capped at that top mbps limit?

Long version:  Recently moved and set up Fios at our new house.  This is my first time using Fios and the gigabit speeds that it offers.  Unfortunately I didn't do my research as well as I should and didn't realize that in order to get the Gigabit speeds the devices needed to be wired to the gateway.  This is impossible due to the location of the gateway and the way we use our devices.  Every speed test I do usually has me getting somewhere in between 70-100 mbps throughout the house.  But, this is actually perfectly fine for our internet usage - we are quite happy with the speeds we are getting when streaming, downloading, online gaming, etc.  But, from what I understand, we are paying for the gigabit internet speed we are never going to get, right?  Since we VERY rarely see speeds over 100mpbs on the dozens of speedtests I've done, I could drop down to the 100/100 plan and save some serious cash each month, correct?

BUT, my question is: if I were to drop the plan to the lower top limit, would that effect the speeds I'm getting below that limit?  Would the 85mbps speeds I'm currently getting decrease because I'm no longer getting the gigabit signal from Verizon but instead getting a "weaker" 100/100 signal from Verizon?  Or is it case where the internet speeds under the limit wouldn't change.  Isntead, it would just be that I'd have no chance of getting above the 100mbps?

Maybe I'm just thinking about how internet is delivered in the wrong way...  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Are Fios Internet Speeds "Relative" based on the top limit?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of things when running speedtest.

1) Always use a wired connection. Make sure the device has a NIC card capable of 1G speeds.

2) Make sure the router you are connecting to has 1G ports

3) Always run to speedtest.verizon.net. This meaasures your access speed to the network. Which is all any ISP guarantees.

To answer your other question, going to a lower speed tier, should not affect speeds you get. Unless you have a lot of traffic, then once you fill the pipe, everything slows down.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

Most lower speed tiers are getting a little more oomph. In example when I had 150/150 it was always above 150 and never below.

your primary issue is you are using wifi. Wifi is unpredictable and it can achieve the over speed on 100/100 but not 940/880 which is advertised up to speeds on gigabyte internet on a wired connection. Even on hard wired in optimal conditions you won't get total gigabyte speeds. But you should have no issue at the lower speed tier.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of things when running speedtest.

1) Always use a wired connection. Make sure the device has a NIC card capable of 1G speeds.

2) Make sure the router you are connecting to has 1G ports

3) Always run to speedtest.verizon.net. This meaasures your access speed to the network. Which is all any ISP guarantees.

To answer your other question, going to a lower speed tier, should not affect speeds you get. Unless you have a lot of traffic, then once you fill the pipe, everything slows down.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Matt0427 wrote:

BUT, my question is: if I were to drop the plan to the lower top limit, would that effect the speeds I'm getting below that limit?  

No.  It's a cap.