As low as 45 Kbps upload! Paying for 20/5 Help!
tecramer

Ok, beginning just over 2 weeks ago I began experiencing high latency in online games such as World of Warcraft and CS in addition to significant delays in the loading of web pages.  The symptoms included a hang time of several seconds after clicking a link followed by an instant page load (the dl speeds that I'm used to).  Naturally I went to Speedtest.net and started checking servers. I'm in Ft Wayne, IN.

- Half of the servers ran great: a few 20/5s some 19.5/4.4 or 19.6/4.2 - all satisfactory.

- However the other half of the servers were absolute garbage on the upload: 19.5/.93, 19.2/.45, 18.6/.54 etc.

- Distance didn't seem to be a factor either.  Houston clocked in at 19.5/.44 and Dallas was giving me 19.2/4.6  Chicago was giving me 20/5.2 but Kalamazoo was giving me 19.8/.73.

- The results of any given server change over time, ex:  The following day, Chicago was running at 19.5/.82 and Kalamazoo was screaming at 20/5!  Likewise, World of Warcraft (my data center is in Dallas) will be extremely slow one hour pinging at 500-1000ms and perfectly clear the next hour.  I also use ventrilo and while I'm not sure where my teams server is located I've experienced the same intermittent lag there.

- These results have been consistent on 2 different computers in my home.

- The results have been consistent on the notebooks of THREE different Verizon Field techs.  However, once they get a few good tests in a row to Chicago they determine that everything is fine and pack up!  My issue is not resolved at all! 

My trouble tickets disappear, are closed without resolution and promised follow ups never occur.  My ONT was replaced in Dec. 2008, my old D-Link router that was provided in Jan 2005 or 2006 was just replaced.  My "end" was changed and that was followed by the replacement of the CAT5e that runs from my ONT to my router.  All of these troubleshooting attempts have yielded no positive results. 

I have run many trace routes that I am unsure how to read but one tech that has seen them definitely sees a problem.  A tech support gentleman tried to tell me the issue was ATT's fault because I was timing out at an ATT address on one trace route.  However, the day before that I was getting horrendous hop times and lag outs when tracing to Verizon.net at addresses that had "verizon-gni.net"

It is very clear that this is a complex problem that won't be solved by the entry level NT or regular field tech!  The 2nd tech that came out didn't even know that Speed-guide.net is, didn't recognize the terms "TCP/IP" or NT. 

I have had NT rebuild my circuit (whatever that means) and run tests.  Finally an individual from NT called me and said that a tech needed to come out and escalate my ticket to NT and IHN upon his arrival.  Apparently this occurred but still nothing was done.  The field tech promised me that he would follow up with a call back and that the issue was going to be escalated even furthing and testing would be done at night during the lowest usage levels at the home office.  Upon calling today to check on that ticket, I find out that one again my ticket was CLOSED without resolution.  My issue needs to be escalated, but I feel that I have exausted my options.  

Help me out here.

0 Likes
Re: As low as 45 Kbps upload! Paying for 20/5 Help!
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is the brand and model of the router that you have?

0 Likes
tecramer

It is the Westell 9100EM.  The issue was also experienced for the first two weeks on an old D-Link DI-624 that I have had since my service began back in late 2005 or early 2006.

Update:  I have now had 5 field techs of various competency out to my home.  The last one that visited this evening didn't focus on testing my connection as per protocol, instead he scrutinezed my two computers that are both experiencing similiar problems.  He pointed to a few TCPIP errors in my Windows XP event log over the course of several months as the possible reasons why I am having the above stated issues.  He also said that when I get 19.5/.5 or 19/.6 that it is probably those servers.  After he left I checked my mom's fios and my dad checked his girlfirends comcast 15/5 service and they both registed very close to their claimed speed consistently all over the country to just about any server we checked!  We tested 15 or 20 at both sites.  This issue is certainly not "The Internet"'s fault. 

Basically, this special tech that specializes in computer troubleshooting told me that the next step was for me to be contacted by his manager and that I would be CUT LOOSE!  They are likely going to give up on my problem rather than check my ports in their switches or PON cards.  It looks like I will be forced to go back to Comcast because Mike Pettis in Ft. Wayne, IN doesn't want to resolve my issue.  Little does he know that my mother is prepared to cancel her Fios data and TV and my Father is prepared to do the same.  Also, my entire family of six has vowed to discontinue their Verizon Wireless phone service if the issue is not resolved to my satisfaction. 

I don't know what to do!  For 2 years straight I was getting a consistent 35-60 ping to my WoW data center in Dallas, TX.  Now I get between 200-600 and the lag seems worse than that.  It isn't the server, I am in a large organization on the game and no one else is experiencing a deterioration in ping times or an increase in lag.  The same goes for ventrillo, which I intermiitently lag in.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Is UPnP in the router turned on?

#2 What is the DHCP range of the router?

Both of these, pieces of info may be some where in Advanced Setup.

#3 What software firewall is your computer?

0 Likes
tecramer

1) UPnP:

Allow Other Network Users to Control Wireless Broadband Router's Network - This is checked

Features Enable Automatic Cleanup of Old Unused UPnP- This in not checked.

Services WAN Connection Publication: is set to "Publish only the main WAN connection"

2) DHCP - I only found a few mentions of DHCP - I think you are looking for this range?  192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254

3) I've used Zone Alarm for almost 10 years now.  It hasn't given me any trouble for the past 4-5 years with Fios or with Comcast before that...however I have disabled Zone Alarm and the issues continue to persist when I do.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 In the router, first turn on Enable Automatic Cleanup of Old Unused UPnP.

#2 Press apply or ok..

#3 Go back that screen, turn off Enable Automatic Cleanup of Old Unused UPnP and turn off Allow Other Network Users to Control Wireless Broadband Router's Network.

#4 Then press apply or ok.

That should fix the issue. If it does not, please post..

0 Likes
Richard67

I seem to be having just the opposite problem.  My Download speed from virtually every speed test out there is beyond bad.  See my thread at: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/My-FIOS-speed-had-dropped-into-the-toilet/td-p/77265

It is clear that Verizon has some internal issue going on.   I am on the West coast, and just every site east of me runs at a snails pace.

I get a regular 15% packet loss when pinging the Central Server for speedtest.verizon.net. with a speed of about 500Kbps  The number of hops, or the latency to the server does not seem to be a factor.    Where the server is physically and the route seems to the issue.

I am curious to know where you are, perhaps then we might figure out where the problem is.

If you find anything out, please let me know.  

Richard

0 Likes