Assigning a host name in the router
Kracker1

How do you assign a host name to a device that was discovered with a static IP address?

Router is a mi424wr-gen3i .

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Assigning a host name in the router
BlueSquare
Enthusiast - Level 1

I found a solution for assigning local internal hostnames to devices with static IP addresses which worked on my router. My router specs are listed below.

Firmware Version:02.02.00.16
Hardware Version:1.04
UI Version:v1.0.388
Model Name:Fios-G1100

Follow the steps below to assign a hostname to a local devices. Please note, you must give the devices a static IP address or this won't work.

1) Log into your router (visit 192.168.1.1 in a browser)

2) Click advanced

3) Click yes

4) Under DNS settings click DNS server
5) Click Add DNS Entry
6) Assign the hostname of your choice

7) Put in the static IP address of the device of your choosing

😎 Click apply

Then you should be able to browse to this IP address in a browser (if there is anything listening for traffic at that IP). Or you can ping the hostname. Or you can dig at the router for the DNS A record for that device. To do that from a terminal simply run: dig @192.168.1.1 a domain.com (where domain.com is the hostname you assigned). Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Louie77

Hello, 

I just recieved my router myself. On my older router i was able to rename device that had static ip address. But now with this router I can't even do that. 

Other thing i can't delete the device either... is there other option for that? 

Did anyone find an answer for this?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader
BlueSquare
Enthusiast - Level 1

I found a solution for assigning local internal hostnames to devices with static IP addresses which worked on my router. My router specs are listed below.

Firmware Version:02.02.00.16
Hardware Version:1.04
UI Version:v1.0.388
Model Name:Fios-G1100

Follow the steps below to assign a hostname to a local devices. Please note, you must give the devices a static IP address or this won't work.

1) Log into your router (visit 192.168.1.1 in a browser)

2) Click advanced

3) Click yes

4) Under DNS settings click DNS server
5) Click Add DNS Entry
6) Assign the hostname of your choice

7) Put in the static IP address of the device of your choosing

😎 Click apply

Then you should be able to browse to this IP address in a browser (if there is anything listening for traffic at that IP). Or you can ping the hostname. Or you can dig at the router for the DNS A record for that device. To do that from a terminal simply run: dig @192.168.1.1 a domain.com (where domain.com is the hostname you assigned). Hope this helps!

KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.