Asus WL-520gu - print server setup question
rk997s

Try to setup the WL-520gu at wireless print server, reconfigured/assigned the printer with a different I.P. address and providedsame WEPas the Verizon router.  However, when setting up the printer with Windows 7, added the port with the new IP address and see no connection....  Went to check with the Verizon router, I can see the printer router is on the list, but not wireless, and is not active.  What am I missing here? how do I get the Verizon router to recognize the wireless print server?  

Thanks,

Ray 

0 Likes
Re: Asus WL-520gu - print server setup question
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I suspect that you can't do what you are trying to do with a wireless to wireless connection but will be interested to see if anybody comes up with an answer to make it work.

You would need bridging mode to do this and I don't see that supported on the Asus unit.

The easiest way to do it would be use an ethernet cable to connect a port of the verizon router to a port (not Wan port)  of the wl-520ug so treating it as a hub and extending the vz subnet on to it.  Configure the wireless on the asus unit as you would normally  and then connect to it when you want to print.

0 Likes
Re: Asus WL-520gu - print server setup question
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

An alternative to a wired connection would be to get a wireless repeater or a wireless client bridge.  Examples of this device are the dlink DWL-G800AP and Belkin F5D7132 .There are others.    You could then attach the Asus unit to it.

Alternatively you could flash the Asus unit with different firmware that will enable client mode on it.

Google Tomato  or DD-WRT firmware for examples of this.

Be aware that if you mess this up you could end up tossing the Asus.

0 Likes