Availability... just a block away!
trucktire

My town has been wired up for years as far as I know, and switching is becoming a major consideration.

Service however according to the VZ website, service is not available at my house... though it is just 1 block over onwards. The question is, why would it be split so strangely? People in the same town as me are elligiable a single block over. I definitely remember seeing the trucks when they were around years ago.

What is the best way to get them in gear / confirm this?

0 Likes
Re: Availability... just a block away!
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@trucktire wrote:

My town has been wired up for years as far as I know, and switching is becoming a major consideration.

Service however according to the VZ website, service is not available at my house... though it is just 1 block over onwards. The question is, why would it be split so strangely? People in the same town as me are elligiable a single block over. I definitely remember seeing the trucks when they were around years ago.

What is the best way to get them in gear / confirm this?

There could be a lot of reasons why this is. Could be that the equipment in the CO only allowed them to go so far (each piece of equipment is has a limited number of customers it can handle without sacrificing performance) and they may need to expand the CO equipment to reach your block. Could be that the fiber lines are not layed on your block yet. They dont do a whole town at once. The line may end a block over. This happens all the time. Its what happened here too. I'm lucky its on my block but my neighbor behind me one street over cannot get it as Verizon only installed up to my street so far. Could also be that your block is over some imaginary line where Verizon is not allowed to put service in. All companies have "territories" and other companies are not allowed to offer service in that area. Or the license to provide service issued by your town limited them to a certain area. And these are just the possibilities that I can think of off the top of my head from personal experience and what we have seen here on the board.

As for what you can do. Really, nothing. You can ask but it just doesnt work. I know that Verizon has slowed down the new construction significantly in order to focus on beefing up the existing network before proceeding. Plus in several areas, the growth was not enough to support further expansion. They sold off several of the western states. And have consolidated several others. So basically all you can do is go to the web site and see if it is available, if not click on the "notify me" link and they will send you an email when it becomes available.