Re: Avenger's Question Thread
Avenger
Enthusiast - Level 3

I got the lite idea from someone else and it to me sounds cool. A 5/2 plan wouldn't be bad, they used to have it...:( but now it's always up to 10/2

I spoke to someone today and they told me they don't do "wiring" or how I explained it to them (they said they do nothing through walls).

My question is...can the router be placed wherever with CAT5 house wiring only or can you place the router wherever you want if the house has coax wiring? I have coax wiring and my dream is the be able to plug my wireless router into a coax jack and be good to go.

0 Likes
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

Two comments:

First the 7mbit per second DSL is apparently only available if your copper run to the Central office is less than 4000 feet. DSL performance is  sensitive to the both the length of the copper run, and the quality of the copper run. When I went to 3mbit per second DSL, I discovered that while I could get close to rate speed on the downlink, I couldn't get anywhere near the rated 768kb on the uplink. The best negotiated uplink DSL speed was about 500kb/sec, and both the uplink and downlink suffered in bad weather. If I could hear thunder, my DSL link was down.  With FIOS, you either get essentially your rated speed, or you get nothing. I am supposed to have 20/5 service, I measure it as 19.1/5.6, close enough, and it isn't at all sensitive to the weather. Admittedly, the house is served by a very old copper pair.

As far as FiOS lite goes, wait a while. The idea initially is to maximize the revenue, so at this point FiOS service seems to be largely limited by Verizon's ability to get it installed. There is no reason for Verizon to offer a lower priced service today. Once Verizon revenue isn't constrained by the ability to install ONT's and the last 100 feet of optical fiber,I expect that like DSL, they will offer a lower performance entry level product. Until demand for the higher priced services drops below the ability to install those services on a timely basis, don't look for an entry level product, there just isn't any reason to dilute the revenue stream.

Avenger
Enthusiast - Level 3

I see...but it would be great 🙂 FiOS lite just sounds so badass...

0 Likes
Avenger
Enthusiast - Level 3

"If your data is coming in via the coax connection only, the only requirement for placement of the router is that you need a coax connection to plug into your router."

But I did this...and I couldn't connect to the internet. I think a technician has to "enable" certain coax outlets to work. Though, when I disconnected the router from it's original place I see a dangling coax cable coming out of the wall (it was the cable the router was originally connected by) Is that cable from the ONT from outside? How to they make it so that you can plug your router in random outlets anyway?

0 Likes
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2
Coax for the ONT goes into a splitter normally, and all of the coax outlets including the router are connected to the splitter, however splitter used by Verizon is unusually wide band..  5Mhz-1000Mhz. The standard cable and Directv splitters don't cover the part of the spectrum that is used to carry the Internet over the cable (about 1000Mhz).  So if you have your own coax distribution, you may need different splitters than are current installed.
0 Likes
Avenger
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, according to the installation demo on their website the techinician is supposed to do whatever it is he needs to do so that I can plug my router (in either a CAT5 or coax outlet) and have internet. He did not do this...and when I told customer service on the phone they were shocked and said they would send someone there to fix the problem eventually...

So does CAT5 need a splitter too...just wondering. Or is it like phone outlets.

0 Likes
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2
Cat5/ethernet either needs a 'backbone', or a hub for distribution to additional outlets.
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

@Avenger wrote:

Ok, according to the installation demo on their website the techinician is supposed to do whatever it is he needs to do so that I can plug my router (in either a CAT5 or coax outlet) and have internet. He did not do this...and when I told customer service on the phone they were shocked and said they would send someone there to fix the problem eventually...

So does CAT5 need a splitter too...just wondering. Or is it like phone outlets.

He had to do it, your system was working fine before you started moving things around...  When he arrives let him know the problem your having is the technician placed the router in a place where it won't reach all the computers and have him relocate it more centrally.

Re: the cat5 splitter statement...Your modem will either be fed by either coax or cat5 (ethernet)  The tech will only enable one as a source for broadband.  Just explain what your trying to accomplish...he will know what to do. 
Message Edited by Provider7 on 01-12-2009 09:13 PM
0 Likes
Avenger
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, this has nothing to do with replies I've been getting. It has to do with calls over the phone...I've been getting mixed answers from people from verizon about the way FiOS is installed and its relation to wiring architecture and where main sources are etc.

The guy I didn't enjoy speaking with told me that verizon can do nothing in terms of using a splitter and the next guy I spoke to said a technician should always have with him a splitter lol...to split the signal the ONT transmits so that cable outlets in my house can be actually used, because right now, NO coaxial cable outlets can be used (but that's not really the issue. The issue is I want one specific outlet enabled because that's where I want the router to be, not in the fricking kitchen. Keep in mind the router in the kitchen is also not connected to an outlet, it's connected to the ONT from outside so there's a hole going through the wall). The guy who told me this also said the splitter reaches the main coaxial source. He stated it should be around the same area the ONT was placed, where all the "house wiring" is. I've also been told it's typically the attic/basement/garage, none of which this townhouse has besides a basement and I searched the entire place, nowhere in the basement does there seem to be something you could connect anything to so...I'm led to believe that whatever the splitter connects to besides the ONT is somewhere where the ONT is installed, outside my house...

0 Likes
Avenger
Enthusiast - Level 3

I apologize for the double post, but I got a pretty dissapointing answer over the phone with a representative and I called a second time only to talk to another who confirmed the reality.

Just to make this clear, I have FiOS internet, not FiOS internet + TV, and I have coax cabling in my house.

...I was told because I don't have FiOS TV I can't move my router ANYWHERE and it has to be connected to one coax cable (the one coming out of the ONT) "Unfortunately" he says. The next representative I spoke to confirmed it and mentioned it sucked before I even had a chance to tell him that it dissapointed me 😛 Apparently they don't touch your coax wiring if you're not ordering TV, EVEN if you're not using the coax for say Comcast or DISH network (my house has DISH).

Going back to the ONT location issue, because again, the router location is a dead horse seeing as now it has only one cable it can connect to (I can't even use my outlets). I don't really see the reason why it would cost more to place the ONT somewhere else, nor do I see it as an impossiblity. Like others having the same issue, technicians aren't in harmony with the nice representative we speak with over the phone. They say they do things one way (their way) only. On the phone I hear I can get things done my way...a mixed answer. The difference isn't more than about 20-30 ft...and it isn't like there's a limit to the length of the cables that go from the ONT to whatever it is connected to (why the heck would there be? Aren't they cut from large sources?). It's on a wall outside my house after all. Verizon installation demo says I can pick location of ONT (because again, it's still going to be connected to whatever it needs to be touching. After all it's a box on the wall with wires coming out of it, from the way it looks).

Plan changes to getting a long coax cable w/extender to place the router where I want it to be, yay..or someone can miraculously decide to place my ONT somewhere just 20 ft away from its original spot...and fix the 3 inch hole in my wall...

0 Likes