Re: Avenger's Question Thread
Avenger
Enthusiast - Level 3

LOL! @ the let me google it for you link. That was hilarious...Smiley Happy

Honestly though, I did google it first. The reason I'm asking what it is, is just to make sure I didn't get false info and/or I'm curious if the person will define it the same way. I also asked how to make sure I don't have this kind of setup, because I couldn't find info on that.

This is aimed at anyone, but why the heck are these forums so slow?! And why do I have to sign in a SECOND TIME when I want to post a message here? It doesn't detect that you're signed in when you do it from the home page.

0 Likes
Re: Avenger's Question Thread
Avenger
Enthusiast - Level 3

Bridging the secondary router stops double NATing which can cause issues with P2P. Bad NAT can cause lag because data packets can be miss-routed. However the easist way to see if you have lag would be to run a Tracert. Any response time over 300ms is bad, good is under 100ms, horrible is 4-500+. To give you an idea of why you would run a bridge, I have a wireless N router that i use for my home network that gives me gigabit transfer speeds in network, bridged to the actiontec(which is 54Mb) for internet access. It is the easiest way to set up highspeed network in your home. You can also set up a bridge if you need to extend network coverage. You can cut out the Actiontec altogether if you dont want VOD and guide data.

I tried this out,,,however is there a reason why responses for some sites may be slower or faster than others? If so then why is this such a reliable thing to use, couldn't a bad response be because of the site and not what type of connection you have?

Also no one answered this question but, someone on the previous page claimed that having 2 wireless routers enabled produces more bandwidth (I guess he means this will produce less lag thus making your internet faster with 2 routers). Is this true? I personally don't think so since if this meant more bandwidth then why would the tutorial on how to make a network bridge, say "you can disable wireless on one of the routers if you want" when doing this will only lower your amount of overall bandwidth? See what I'm saying?

0 Likes