Back up Battery Replacement
eugene491
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you have to go thru the annoying process of replacing the back up battery, Verizon offers a Gold Top HG one at an exorbitant price. However, in the description it states the battery will last for 6-7 years. Is there any truth to this? I’ve never seen one of these batteries last more than a couple years. And I’m talking about good batteries purchased at a battery store, not some $10 cheapie from Amazon. If the Gold Top can last for so long why does Verizon warranty it for only one year? If the battery really lasted 6 years it would be worth Verizon’s high price. 

0 Likes
Re: Back up Battery Replacement
jonjones1
Legend

Verizon has stopped using these batteries in as much if you were to call for a service at the ONT the tech will simply remove it. Verizon also uses power reserve units which are simple d batteries (12) of them which you can turn on if needed.

however it is only needed for phone service so with no phone you don’t need it.

a better alternative is a APC power unit to keep your ONT and router running for hours in the case of a power outage.

0 Likes
eugene491
Enthusiast - Level 2

But my box has a battery. I can’t just stop using it. I would gladly disconnect it if that were possible. My actual question was if those Gold Top batteries really lasted 6 years or anything close to that. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

• @eugene49 wrote:

But my box has a battery. I can’t just stop using it. I would gladly disconnect it if that were possible. My actual question was if those Gold Top batteries really lasted 6 years or anything close to that. 

To answer your question, I really would not know. Companies will say anything to sell a product.

and you can remove it since it only is used for voice service as it states in this link.

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/battery-backup/backup-unit

0 Likes
Yada349

I became a Verizon subscriber in August, 2018 and the installer told me that my Goldtop HG battery would last 4-5 years. It began beeping in mid-February, 2019.  After numerous troubleshooting calls to Verizon, they agreed to mail a new battery.  it never arrived.  In March, I called again.  After assuring Verizon that I have excellent mail service, they finally agreed to mail "another" replacement.  When I, with assistance, replaced the initial batter,y, imagine my shock when the charge date ON THE BATTERY INSTALLED IN AUGUST, 2018, WAS JUNE 17, 2014!!!  I hate to believe that Verizon would deliberately and fraudulently install a battery that was designed to fail within months of a new subscriber's signing up for the service.  Bottom line:  Insist that the installer show you the date on the battery at the time of installation, folks!

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No battery has a set life. If a certain area has more power outages than another the battery with more outages will need replacing sooner. 

As far as Verizon battery backup units it is best to schedule a tech to upgrade you to a power adapter. They don’t have the battery and will not beep. The older BBUs are prone to disruption of service due to power outages. 

If it goes bad you will have to wait until Verizon comes out to replace the BBU. If you get an appointment the next day that is great. But if your area just had a storm and you have to wait a week for service that wouldn’t be so great. 

0 Likes