Bad Gigabit speed and bad services
nchengt

I have just upgraded my Fios from 76/76Mbit to Gigabit plan about one week ago, but I am very disapointed because the performance is really poor, even worse than what I had before the upgrade. I only can get 30-40Mbit on my PCs, at most 50 Mbit, even by using the i7 that can use 5G speed. My smart TV Fios youtube connection continue breaking off and I have to reset the router without too much help. Even I used the i7 PC directly connect to the router by using the Ethernet cable provided by Verizon and I can only get less than half of the speed Verizon claimed. If I place the PC just beside the router almost touch it, the Wi-Fi speed is only 200Mbit at best, but who would use the PC side by side to the router and now how many people would use the Ethernet cable any more? I think that I didn't get what I have purchased and that the new router is a bad one. Verizon staff installed the new router said that the speed could not be measured when the speed is far below the Gigabit. He failed to return my call and I had to call him again. When he picked up the phone, he said that he was busy with another customer and he would come back to my house to fix the issue but he has never come back or I have never heard again. I used the Verizon chat but got no response to my question. When I type "any one there" and the response came back that "If you’re connected, I am here!". Then I was directed to select the issue "Please tap below to get to a Verizon representative.", but then it said that "All our Agents are busy. Please try later.". Very bad services that is not the same Verizon services that I had enjoyed before. I am not only frustrated but very angry too.

I am also confused that, as a 26 years Verizon customer, why my new two years contract Fios Gigabit charge was double the new customer $79.99, not include the taxes and other fees that makes total to $200+? I really feel that this upgrade is really not worthy.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My internet speed issues experiences shared
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Reason Verizon will wonly accept their speed test is that they only guarantee acess speed.

So their speed test tests your access speed to the Verizon network.

Other speed tests go past the Verizon network that they have no control over.

And wired is their preferred because WiFi doesn't support gig speeds.

And it is more influenced by outside factors (interference, other nearby wifi, interior walls, etc).

Even direct connect can be an issue. I have seen posts were people had poor speeds, but then updated drivers and it corrected the issue.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Bad Gigabit speed and bad services
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi nchengt,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Message Inbox for a message from Verizon_Support. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes
My internet speed issues experiences shared
nchengt

I have been working on the issues of my new Verizon Fios Gigabit plan, and I was very frustrated. My experiences should be worth to be shared.

In the process, I have worked with several technicians and some of them were helpful but some of them were not. Yesterday, after I had given up, a Verizon (Moderator?) sent a message to me to ask me if I could try again to chat with their technician. This is after I filed complaints to the Authority and BBB. Although I was very reluctant, but I decided to give Verizon another chance. The technician Victorina was very nice. She showed me her good will to help me. Although she could not fix the issues, she apoligized and opened a ticket to send a technician to my house to do the fixing at 9:00 am in today morning and told me that I should not be charged. I got the text message from Verizon too later in yesterday evening. But, there was no one came this morning. Then, around 9:20 am, I got another Verizon text message which told me that my issues have been fixed? What? Is that weird? I didn't see any Verizon staff came t do the fixing? I did the speed test again by using Verizon speed test but the Verizon connection to their router test was failed, 0 bit/0 bit, not once, but several times on three of my devices. Then Verizon Executive Relationship Department called me, after some discussions, finally, he gave up the prior fixing at their end but promissed to send a technician to my house in today afternoon.

The technician came in this afternoon and did the test. His Verizon Ethernet test device linking to the router got similar results as our prior speed test results. He replaced the router, but the final Ethernet test by using Verizon speed test still showed the similar result as prior tests. However, at least, now I don't get "failed" router speed result.  Although I am still very disappointed, at least he told me the truth that the Gigabit speed in fact only can deliver about half the speed claimed by using the Ethernet and the Wi-Fi speed would be only about 100-200Mbit, not more than 300Mbit, which matched to my testing results. I appreciate that he told me the truth and I made a good will suggestion to him (and to Verizon) that he should tell Verizon to change how they advertise the Gigabit services if they could not deliver that speed they claimed, otherwise, they will get into big troubles.

Especially, the really important speed is what speed comes out from the router, becuase we are using our devices to do the work, not on the router. And, Verizon should know that no one or maybe only few customers are using the Ethernet now but most of us would use the Wi-Fi insetad in their home. In addition, customer do  not use their devices beside the router but with a distance in their home. What the customers really cared is the Wi-Fi speed from the router

The technician told me that he is 100% agree with me.

As I am a 26 years old customer with Verizon, in general, if we were told the truth, we would be very forgiven. But, we need to know the truth.

As well, Verizon should provide fair price to the old customer. He said that the current price is $80 (actually, the new plan is $79.99). When he heard that I was charged double of that price, he was very surprised. Anyway, I will ask Verizon to give me a fiar price, especially now we are very clear to know that what the speed Verizon router can really deliver, which has proven that I was right all the time. (I am a professional senior IT guy with IT M.S. degree).

I think what I said here is fair with facts.

BTW, I was told by Verizon that we should only use the Verizon speed test too for speed testing result and should not use the third party speed test. Although that is Verizon tool, but I started agree with that. I did used another two third party test tools and got different speed rsults. I would more believe the Google M-Lab speed test tool and take it as a test reference, which is close to but a little bit slower than Verizon speed test result. Another speed test tool speedtest.net  would be ignored by me as I have read from the online review that they are taking the money to fake the speed test and they collect our data in the test and sell them. I don't know how true these reviews' claims are but I decided that, if there could be these concerns, I would not trust the speedtest.net test result and would try to avoid using their speed testing tool.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

I believe the moderator LawrenceC answered you question twice (2 posts)

verizon only accepts their speed test from here 

https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/oneclick.aspx

No other one is accepted, and it is via direct ethernet connection (no WiFi) 

wifi speeds are not guaranteed. Verizon states up 940/880 nothing more.

what your individual devices do or show is not of any matter to Fios.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Reason Verizon will wonly accept their speed test is that they only guarantee acess speed.

So their speed test tests your access speed to the Verizon network.

Other speed tests go past the Verizon network that they have no control over.

And wired is their preferred because WiFi doesn't support gig speeds.

And it is more influenced by outside factors (interference, other nearby wifi, interior walls, etc).

Even direct connect can be an issue. I have seen posts were people had poor speeds, but then updated drivers and it corrected the issue.

0 Likes