Bad Tech Support Experience
stuffy1

I had the unfortunate  experience of dealing with a Tech Support person name Pam today.  First it was very hard to understand her. Secondly she kept having me reset my router over and over.  Some system was telling her it needed to be rebooted.   Even with everything unplugged the router would not reset.  Some how she felt that repeating the same process over and over would change something.  Finally she assured me the problem was with the box outside.  This didn't make sense to me because the router was unplugged from the VDSL and Cable.   But she reassured me the problem was not the router.  Oh yeah she wanted me to plug the telephone (VDSL) cable into the WAN port.  I had to explain to her they where different sizes.     She told me some other department would call me back (of course they didn't) and she finally called me back stating she had to send out a technician.  That meant me having to waste more of my time and I was able to convince her to just send me a new router.   She was positive it would arrive on Monday even though Monday is a holiday and she wasn't sure if UPS would deliver it on Monday.  She said it will be here so I will wait and see.  she also said the billing office is closed on the weekends but they will be open on Monday (a holiday).  I asked her again and she promised they will be open.  I will trying calling them.   At the end she just hung up without saying anything.  

I couldn't even get a ticket / tracking number from her.  In the past I was gotten a number from Verizon.   So I just have someone saying don't worrry the router will be there and please call the billing office on Monday for a refund for the time you didn't have service. 

0 Likes
Re: Bad Tech Support Experience
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Sounds like you got ahold of one of the ones that just go by a script. As for monday. While it is Columbus day, its not a major holliday. Most companies work. UPS and Verizon included. However, the date of your post shows you did this on Saturday. If she is shipping you a new router, and it was after 4pm eastern time on Friday, you wont recieve the router until Tuesday. No shipments after 4pm friday until the following monday.

If your using VDSL, you dont need the router anyway, you can bypass the router, and connect the computer directly. Or for that matter you can use your own router. This wont help with your video service (if you have the TV) but you will have internet service. Assuming that the router is the problem that is.

FSC2
Contributor - Level 1

Well pam might need some more training. Is hard to deal with so many issues :).

Here are somethings you can do if you have a windows machine.

Open command prompt (with administrative privileges) How?Start menu-> all programs-> accesories->right click on command prompt (run as administrator)

type ipconfig/release (press enter)

type ipconfig/renew

netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" dhcp (press enter)

netsh interface ip set dns "Local Area Connection" dhcp (press enter) 

go to google.com I assume you know how to do this... 🙂

no connectivity continue 

go back to command prompt window

type ipconfig/all 

look for default gateway : a number something like this will show 192.168.1.1 or similar!!!!!!!!

type that number into the browser(this log you into your router) 

username:admin

password:serial number of your router ! so you might have check physically

go to advanced (if it doesn't exist then I guess you dont have an action tech router but you can still find the reboot option)

reboot the router.

go to google.com 

Did it fix it?

Finally try this:

if you have an ethernet cord that comes from your wall dont connect it to the router. Connect it to your computer ethernet port.

Then create a ppoe connection (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283070 for windows xp) 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Create-a-PPPoE-connection-to-the-Internet in vista.

The username and password doesnt matter... verizon authenticates automatically.

go to yahoo.com (just in case you have a dns problem with google lol)

doesnt work? There is nothing I think you can do. You must have a verizon field tech come check the problem. 

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@stuffy wrote:

Finally she assured me the problem was with the box outside.  This didn't make sense to me because the router was unplugged from the VDSL and Cable.    

You have a MDU install (VDSL, shared ONT).  Since the CSR indicated a problem with the "box outside", she was presumably referring to the MDU ONT,  which makes sense since your router was disconnected at the time.

The next logical steps would have been to check the VDSL modem and then the ONT.  If she was having problems communicating with the MDU ONT, then a truck roll is indeed required and a new router won't help (won't hurt either).

Manatees
Enthusiast - Level 2

This may be a little late, but have you tried resetting the router? There should be a little hole somewhere on the router that you can fit a straightened paper clip in to nicely (for about 4 seconds) that will clear and reset everything.