Re: Bait and Switch
db909
Contributor - Level 3

I am stuck on, you've had constant problems, got another ISP that is faster down for less money and didn't switch?

Batman0363
Enthusiast - Level 1

I AM A VICTIM OF BAIT AND SWITCH BY VERIZON FIOS!!! I have been a loyal (and, until now, happy) customer of Verizon Fios since it was made available about 6 years ago in my neighborhood in Silver Spring, MD. My most recent 2 year contract expired on December 13th.

I was contacted by VF about a month before that to see if I wanted to continue my service with another 2 year deal. I told the rep that I would if I could get the same package at the same rate I was paying. That package would include: the fastest Internet speed, HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime. The rep said that it would be very "difficult" to give me the promotional rate that I was getting on my current deal, but she would try. After being on hold for 15 to 20 minutes, she told me that she got her supervisor to approve the rate. She then read the services that I would get back to me, along with the rate, and I agreed to a new 2 years deal.

Yesterday, Dec 14th, I discovered that I no longer have Showtime or Cinemax. When I called customer service to inform them of the problem, I was told that I do not have those channels on my plan. When I recounted my sales conversation of the previous month, I was told condescendingly told that I must not have understood what I purchased, and that there was nothing I could do at this point but purchase the two missing pay channels.

Of course, I was insulted and outraged. The is nothing (NOTHING) that is unclear about "give me the package that I had at the same price and I will sign up". And, there is no way (NO WAY) that I would have agreed to anything less, especially since I was the one who suggested the terms. I have called Customer Service 3 times now to talk to a supervisor and/or get someone to listen to the recorded phone call of the conversation of my new contractual terms. There is no doubt (NO DOUBT) that such an investigation will show that I am being cheated, and that I was deceived by Verizon.

I am a Realtor {edited for privacy}, and I sell A LOT of houses in the DC area. And, I will never again recommend that my clients get Verizon Fios, Internet, or any other product that they can get from another provider, if they are in the practice of disrespecting, deceiving, and extorting their customers in this fashion. I have not put this issue to rest. But, I wanted to warn anyone out there who is looking at this page investigate whether Verizon Fios is a good value.

If you value integrity, it is not.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Batman0363,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

batman0363,

While we are happy to help sort out and correct any errors in your programming package, we are not able to assist without your information. After multiple unanswered requests for that information from you, we have closed your Private Support Case. If you still require assistance please make a new post so that we can investigate.

-Adam_VZ

0 Likes
jeanr1

I am also a victim of bait and switch. When I first moved into my home 4 1/2 years ago FIOS sent me a promotion. I ended up paying about $120 per month for my cable, internet and home phone package. When it was time to renew, they wanted to charge me more which I didn't agree with. A sales agent told me he could give me what I wanted (the same price I had been paying) so I ended up renewing.  He had another agent come on the line to record the acceptance of my agreement. When I got my first new bill it was $160 ($40 dollars more than I was told!) I called to complain and was told that they didn't know why I was told that price. I said they were playing games and being unethical so they eventually agreed to stick by their agreement (actually lowering the price by a few dollars). It seemed odd that first they said the price was too low then offered it even a bit lower. It was beginning to look like the prices were made up by whoever you were speaking to. In any case, again the new agreement was recorded and I was told that my next bill would be credited for the $40 dollar overcharge. This same scenario happened again the following month. I spent many hours each time on the phone trying to fix the problem. Then it happened a third time. This time the agent told me all the other people were wrong and I would have to pay a higher price. I couldn't believe this was happening. How can any company operate like this and get away with it? But the biggest assault was yet to come. I asked this agent for a copy of my recorded contract. She said she couldn't provide that. So I said that FIOS intentionally broke our contract and that I never agreed to this price so I wanted to cancel my service. The agent was not one bit compassionate and obviously could care less about me or my problem. (Customer service?) She agreed that I should cancel if I didn't want a higher price and assured me that I would not have to pay an early termination fee. I was sure to ask about this since I was not the one terminating our agreed upon contract, FIOS was. I told her I would pay my recent bill and cancel effective of the date that bill was good through. Well, the following month, I got an early termination bill. I couldn't believe it! I called and was given the run around by many people. As before, nobody knew what someone else did or said. Isn't that what computers are good for? I called several times and was treated horribly by the staff. They acted as though I had done something wrong. I was put on hold often and never returned to. One agent even hung up on me. Yes, I admit I was angry at this point.  I was also exhausted and frustrated. I refused to pay what I did not feel I owed. I should have been paid by FIOS for all my time and aggravation! Eventually they sent the early termination fee to a collection agency. I explained what had happened to that agency when they called.They were not surprised and told me to write a letter which I did. I didn't hear anything back for a long time, then another agency called me. I told them the same story. Well FIOS doesn't give up. They sent it to another agency. Well today I applied for a loan for my son's college tuition. He is supposed to start college in September. Last year I had a very good credit score. I was informed today that Verizon FIOS put the termination fee on my credit which lowered my score significantly. I guess the big guys won. I didn't get the loan and with no other cosigner my son may not be attending college. I am a single parent supporting a house and child on a teacher's salary. I worked very hard to keep good credit and am an honest person. The woman at the loan authority told me that the rest of my credit was perfect but that any charge- offs (FIOS early termination fee) automatically disqualifies you. I cried all afternoon. Why are some companys so dishonest? Well, maybe that's why FIOS is so rich. If they ever come knocking on your door, don't anwer it. As I found out they have the power to ruin your life.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello jeanr

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.
Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".
Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Due to multiple failed attempts to reach you we will be closing this private support case.

If you need further assistance with Verizon service feel free to send us another post.

Thank you,

^Matthew

0 Likes
hbarnes1999
Enthusiast - Level 1
The absolute worst customer service I have ever I have ever recieved.I highly recomend staying away from this company.They offer a gift card for signing up and then say oh well we failed to put it in your order so there is nothing we can do at this point. Highly unprofessional. I was told too bad basically. They are losing a customer who pays 189.00 a month for serivces due to their lack of empathy and customer service.
0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello hbarnes1999

Sorry you are having difficulty, an agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information to help you resolve your issue.

0 Likes
unreal2

I have the same problem. I calle Verizon this morning to discuss my bill and a new contract. I was quoted $193 for the services and veatures I selected. Ok so I called Comcast and they were ony $10 less so I decided it was not worth switching and to take the offer from Verizon. That is where th fun started. I called back Verison to confitm the $193 and was told there is no way to offer that price and was told $197 was the best they could do. So I said ok lock me in for 2yrs. Now I get a conformation on my order via email and its for $225 ber month. Now call Verizon back for the 3rd times today.. they again said there is now way it could have been $197 and now its $213 per month with is $26 more than my current monthly charge.

0 Likes