Bandwidht speed test is slow while LAN is fast
BorisR
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm new customer of FIOS - just over two weeks. My service is 35/35. The only time I could get speed I've paid for is when I connected to the router (MI424WR rev. F) directly. For the BANDWIDTH test I've used verizon.com/checkyourspeed site.

I’ve already received replacement for the original router, because Verizon rep. suspected that there was something wrong with equipment.
I tried everything I could imagine: different channels (went through each of them), turned off Verizon wireless and tried to use Belkin wireless N+ router, tried 4 different laptops with Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 (32 bit) and one desktop with windows XP.
I'm not getting bandwidth better then 13/14-15 (for some reason upload is always faster) on any computer. Not for one which is within 2 feet from the router, not for one which is 2 floors up.
The only once I manage to climb to the 22 MB when I shut down ALL COMPUTERS in the house except one with "b/g/n" capability, turned of Verizon wireless and used Belkin N+ router for the networking.
I expected that wireless bandwidth should approximately be 30% slower then LAN speed, but never expected it to go as low as 30% or less of the speed I've paid for.
Did anybody ever get better bandwidth for the 35/35 service?
What is the usual bandwidth for those who bough 20/5?
Should I just demand from Verizon to amend my contract, or there is a way to get closer to the really fast internet?

Another question: did somebody tried create truly "N" home network (without "802.11a/b/g" devices)? Was it somehow better or the same?
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Bandwidht speed test is slow while LAN is fast
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@BorisR wrote:

The only time I could get speed I've paid for is when I connected to the router (MI424WR rev. F) directly.

If you're getting 35/35 connected directly to the router, then your FIOS service is working correctly and your issues are purely wireless.

When you have a mixed G & N network, the wireless will operate at the lowest compatible speed. 

Also, the N radio in the rev. F Actiontec is draft 802.11n and does not support 5Ghz band, 40Mhz channels or mimo.

In order to get wireless speeds to fully utilize your 35/35 connection, you should move to all N devices and a fully 802.11n compliant access point.

View solution in original post

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

When it comes to wireless. 13-15 down is actually quite good. Most average between 6-10 down.

Now the reason you saw the speed increase when you turned everything off is that the Verizon router is not a dual band router. So if you have any devices in the house that are B/G it will bring the entire network down to the G level. Once you only had N systems running then the system ran back up the N level. That 22 you got will likely be as fast as you will get. You will only get the 35 on wired connections

One additional thing. Verizon does not guarentee wireless AT ALL. Your contract calls for 35 WIRED. If you read the fine print Verizon says they will give a wireless connection for only 10 feet but that is connection only, they will not guarentee any speeds what so ever on wireless.

BorisR
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, if I change my contract to 25/25 or 20/5 I will still get the same wireless bandwidth download speed, or it will go down as well? 

lou611661
Contributor - Level 1

@BorisR wrote:

So, if I change my contract to 25/25 or 20/5 I will still get the same wireless bandwidth download speed, or it will go down as well? 

Wireless speeds have alwyas at times has issues,this is why i went with the 25/25 package,now if i had the 100/100 package i would really cause a stink if speeds dropped a whole lot.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@BorisR wrote:

The only time I could get speed I've paid for is when I connected to the router (MI424WR rev. F) directly.

If you're getting 35/35 connected directly to the router, then your FIOS service is working correctly and your issues are purely wireless.

When you have a mixed G & N network, the wireless will operate at the lowest compatible speed. 

Also, the N radio in the rev. F Actiontec is draft 802.11n and does not support 5Ghz band, 40Mhz channels or mimo.

In order to get wireless speeds to fully utilize your 35/35 connection, you should move to all N devices and a fully 802.11n compliant access point.