Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.

Bandwidth usage

SOLVED
ubrgeek
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

Bandwidth usage

Message 1 of 9
(15,423 Views)

Seeing as the search functionality of the forums is terrible I apologize for asking what I'm sure has been asked many times (but I can't find posts specifically about this question): How can I tell my average bandwidth usage over the span of a month? I'm trying to determine costs for a possible VPN solution via AWS. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
csmall
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Bandwidth usage

Message 8 of 9
(11,201 Views)

I think I found it.

When I go to the website and access My Verizon and then click on My Plan an ad for upgrading my service loads at the top of the page underneath information about my current plan. At the bottom of the ad is a bar that shows my average GB usage over the last 30 days. 

Good luck!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
CRobGauth
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 2 of 9
(15,395 Views)

I don't believe there is a FiOS tool shows usage.

Verizon doesn't have a cap so no real reason to track.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
ubrgeek
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

Message 3 of 9
(15,378 Views)

They kind of do - something about if you use an unfair amount of bandwidth (I think there were articles that said 4TB) they can choose to throttle (or cancel?) your contract. We're nowhere near that, but just curious exactly how much we do use. Regardless, thanks!

CRobGauth
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 4 of 9
(15,368 Views)

If you are running the test from one device, see if there is an app or program that you could load to measure usage.

Its not a hard cap (ie not published). There has been talk about some people getting messages stating excessive usage.

But it would require downloading movies 24x7 essentially.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
JustinG
Silver Contributor V Silver Contributor V
Silver Contributor V

Message 5 of 9
(15,322 Views)

Unfortunately, one of the major missing features from Verizon's routers in my opnion is the ability to track bandwidth usage.

The only measurement I can get out of the router is under the My Network tab, then by clicking Network Connections.

Next click the Full Status button. Look under the "Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax)" column.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and look for "Sent Bytes" and "Received Bytes". You can then convert these bytes to MB, GB, etc with a quick google search.

Screenshot from 2016-11-02 22-36-00.png

These statistics are erased every time your router is reboot, and from my own personal testing, the stats can be a little bit off. Your best most accurate bet of monitoring would be to have a bandwidth monitoring program on devices themselves.

Or of course, if you don't have TV service, I would strongly reccomend you replace your Verizon router with your own router thats capable of doing such a basic task as bandwidth monitoring.

ubrgeek
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

Message 6 of 9
(15,290 Views)

Yeah, good point. I'm planning on flashing a router I have and dropping dd-wrt on it, just haven't had the time.

JustinG
Silver Contributor V Silver Contributor V
Silver Contributor V

Message 7 of 9
(15,281 Views)

Probably your best bet. If you do feel like getting adventurous, once you have DD-WRT up and running I strongly suggest installing this little application, gives a simple and clean interface for bandwidth monitoring, even per-device monitoring.

https://github.com/vortex-5/ddwrt-bwmon

csmall
Contributor
Contributor

Message 8 of 9
(11,202 Views)

I think I found it.

When I go to the website and access My Verizon and then click on My Plan an ad for upgrading my service loads at the top of the page underneath information about my current plan. At the bottom of the ad is a bar that shows my average GB usage over the last 30 days. 

Good luck!

View solution in original post

LawrenceC
Moderator Moderator

Message 9 of 9
(11,195 Views)

As this thread is now two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.