Basic Questions on ActionTec MI424-WR Router - problems with poor download/upload speed
btanchors
Enthusiast - Level 3

First, I will get to the point and ask my questions, then will explain what's happening - I'm interested in hearing whether the right actions are being taken to solve my problem.

1) After perusing the forums, I see frequent reference to the "Rev" version of the ActionTec MI424-WR Router.  How do you find the Rev version?  I have logged into the Router and in the "System Monitoring" icon, the Router Status lists my Hardware version as 'A'.  Does this mean I have Rev 'A'?

2) What is Verizon handing out these days for Routers?  Mine is being replaced, and I am wondering what to expect.  I have Verizon FIOS Phone, TV, and Internet service, and have the 25/25 Internet service.  Will they give me another MI424-WR?  If so, what Rev level are they likely to give me?

Here's why my router is being replaced - opinions/comments/advice welcomed.

For the past year or two, I've consistently measured (via speedtest.speakeasy.net) about 30Mbs download, and around 22-25 Upload.  Lately, I noticed that my downloads were quite slow, so I tested my speed at the above website, which I had not done in many months.  I measured only about 2-3 Download and 1-2 up.  Note all of what I am discussing hear takes place with hard-wired ethernet, NOT wireless.

I tried testing from multiple computers, running XP, Vista, and Windows 7.  All getting consistently similar poor speeds.  I verified my account still is supposed to have 25/25/ service, which I verified online. 

Tried rebooting the router, no change.  Then tried hard reset (pushing in the recessed button, holding it for about 20-30 seconds.  After it reconnected to the Internet, I tested speed again.  No change.

Interestingly, I tested wireless speed on the laptop I have.  Speed is MUCH better, around 15 down, and 10-12 up.

I tried the speed optimization tool on two of my PCs, it made no improvement.  Finally, got into an online chat with a Verizon Tech.  He did some tests on the line, we repeated some of the things I already tried, and then he asked how old my Router was...I am pretty sure it is the original one I received when I first signed up for FIOS, around 5-6 years ago, which is one of the reasons I asked how to tell which rev level I had.   So the tech concluded the problem was probably my Router.

I TEND to agree, especially because I recently had an "anomaly" on my network.  My son complained one day that Internet was down.  When I got home, I found out my NetGear Gigbit switch was dead, and two of my hard-wired ethernet network printers could no longer talk to the network.  I replaced the switch, so now I am thinking perhaps the Router was damaged somehow.  I have no idea what the cause of this anomaly was - everything that connects to my network was plugged into Triplite ISOBAR surge protectors, but that only protects AC power. 

I would think a hardware failure would completely kill the ethernet portion of the router, not simply reduce speed, but I could be wrong.  Anyone been through something similar to this before?  I expect to receive the new Router next Thursday, so hopefully I should know by then, but still - what should the next steps be if the new router does not fix the problem?

Thanks for any comments, insight or shared experiences you might be willing to share...

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Basic Questions on ActionTec MI424-WR Router - problems with poor download/upload speed
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The NDT Tests have the tendency to mis-report the link types. They're meant more for Symmetrical Fiber connection and Intranet setups with low latency and they determine this based on the speed test result, measured bursts and ACK type/speed. Same with NPAD tests. Are you sure you didn't by any chance bump your speed down to 20Mbps/5Mbps (Or 15Mbps/5Mbps) on accident? I'd give the ONT a reboot first to see if perhaps it's an issue with the ONT, and from there I would also give Verizon a call to ensure your provisioning is correct.

View solution in original post

Re: Basic Questions on ActionTec MI424-WR Router - problems with poor download/upload speed
prisaz
Legend

Actiontec Gen 2 Rev E noted on the router label and also probably in the firmware. Rev. A is the first Actiontec to be released when TV first launched. Rev. A had a VERY small NAT table and other issues. Running 25/25 on that router is asking for trouble. Use http://speedtest.net/ or Verizon's speed test at http://my.verizon.com/micro/speedtest/broadband/ . Many test servers can not handle FiOS speeds, especially the upload speed tests.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ActionTec Rev. A units were known for switch failures after an unknown amount of time. What you're seeing sounds like an identical problem to what happens. Running links in Half Duplex often buys more time at reduced speed, but the switch is bound to fail either way. As the switch begins to fail, you'll start to see anomalies outlined shortly, along with the slower than normal speeds you're seeing while on hardwired, despite running at 100Mbps Full Duplex. The Wireless is usually the last thing to die, which is why you're seeing the speeds you are on the Wireless. Other signs of a bad switch are lit up status lights that should not be lit, and activity being shown that actually is not occurring. Eventually, once the Wired connectivity dies, the Wireless will  follow rendering the router useless for anything but MoCa. If that doesn't happen, the router will just downright die: Power off and never boot again.

Either way, the Rev. A is getting old and it's time to retire it. You'll most likely get an ActionTec MI424WR Rev. D or Rev. C as a replacement, but there's a chance you might get a GEN2 router such as a Rev E or F.

btanchors
Enthusiast - Level 3

For what it is worth, in case anyone is interested, I received the new router today.  It appears to be a used one, but it is a Gen 2 Rev F.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

So did it fix the problem?

0 Likes
btanchors
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually, no, it did *not* fix the problem.  Download/Upload speed still measures the same from several computers.  I have now identified that a faulty NetGear switch I was using is the culprit.  Actually, that's the only thing it *could* be at this point, there's nothing else left on the network to replace, other than the ONT!

I ordered a new CISCO switch from NewEgg, which is scheduled to be delivered this evening (1/5).  After I install that, I will update this thread to indicate if this solved the problem.

At any rate, I am glad that even though it didn't fix the problem, I now have a Rev 'F' router instead of an old Rev 'A' one.

0 Likes
btanchors
Enthusiast - Level 3

All,

OK, since I initially posted this thread, I have upgraded from a Rev 'A' ActionTec router to a Rev 'F' router, and upgraded my NetGear switch to a Cisco SR2016T switch.

I am now consistently getting 20.5GB download, and around 5.5 upload.  Still slower than what I used to get a few months ago, when I would get nearly 30 down and 22-23 up.

Based on my needs now, this amount of bandwidth is fine, so I don't really want to go to any heroic level of effort to increase it, but on the other hand, I am not getting what I am paying for - any suggestions as to what to look at to improve things from this point on would be appreciated.

0 Likes
btanchors
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK, here is some more interesting information:

On another thread in this forum, someone suggested trying ndt.anl.gov and running the tests there.  I did this, and from three computers on my network, it states the slowest link between my PC and the server on the other end is a 10Mbps link.

Would this be a slow enough to limit download/upload speed to the speeds I am measuring?

I have checked my PCs and switches/routers carefully - all PCs have a 1.0GB link to the CISCO switch.  The link between the CISCO switch and the Actiontec router is 100Mbps.  The link between the Actiontec router and the ONT is 100Mbps.  So, the slow link isn't on my network anywhere...Comments?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The NDT Tests have the tendency to mis-report the link types. They're meant more for Symmetrical Fiber connection and Intranet setups with low latency and they determine this based on the speed test result, measured bursts and ACK type/speed. Same with NPAD tests. Are you sure you didn't by any chance bump your speed down to 20Mbps/5Mbps (Or 15Mbps/5Mbps) on accident? I'd give the ONT a reboot first to see if perhaps it's an issue with the ONT, and from there I would also give Verizon a call to ensure your provisioning is correct.

btanchors
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is embarrassing.

Smith6612, you are absolutely correct, and you nailed it!

When all this mess started, I checked my Verizon account to make sure I was signed up for 25/25 Internet.  I was.

I don't know what has happened, but after reading Smith6612's response, I went back to recheck my account.  I was set up for 15/5!  So, the speedtest measurements I have been getting the last couple of days are exactly what I should be getting.  Two possibilities:

1) My Triple-Play bundle must have expired in the past two weeks by coincidence.

2) The Verizon tech may have changed my account profile when I worked with them online last week, although this was never discussed.

At any rate, Smith6612 wins the prize.  It certainly explains the download/upload speeds I am getting.  I have logged into Verizon and signed up for a new bundle.  According to their website, my new profile should take effect Tuesday 1/10, so after that point, I should be measuring 25/25 again.

Thanks to all who responded to this thread.  I will update this thread to confirm after Tuesday.  I get nervous whenever I have to change anything with Verizon - although everything has worked fine for the past few years, we have so many services with them - Cell Phone, TV, Internet, and Home Phone, that I worry something will go wrong with the billing, but we'll see.