BcmWifi.DriverInterface.Log: Sta Info for wl0 dev [MAC addr] failed
willman42
Enthusiast - Level 2

I see the following error in my "Advanced Log" section of my System Monitoring tab of my G1100 router:

user.err<11> bhr4: BcmWifi.DriverInterface.Log: Sta Info for wl0 dev [MAC addr] failed

I ssh'd to my router and saw in /var/log/messages this line occurring several times afterward: 

kern.warn<4> kernel: br-lan: received packet on wl0 with own address as source address

Currently, my 5.0GHz Wifi shows "Disconnected" and my phone can't connect to my wifi on either the 5.0 or 2.4GHz bands. I have a feeling it's related...

Does anyone know what these errors mean and how to resolve them? Or better yet- can VZ provide us with documentation that goes over what the error codes mean?

UPDATE: Just saw this pinned message in the forum: https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/BHR4-Connectivity-Issues-with-5GHz-Frequency-Fios-ONLY/t..., and I think this is exactly what's wrong with mine. Hopefully VZ can make use of the details I provided in this post.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: BcmWifi.DriverInterface.Log: Sta Info for wl0 dev [MAC addr] failed
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are a lot of people seeing issues with the 5Ghz connectivity, yes.

The error message you're seeing is the router is attempting to poll the radio driver for a listing of all devices connected to the wireless radio. Many Broadcom based routers like the G1100 router, have an "stainfo" command which can be invoked via the command line. This will display information such as the connection quality of attached devices, their MAC addresses, and a count of how many devices are connected per radio.

Since the 5Ghz Wi-FI issue is more than likely to be a driver issue within the router itself, it is natural for errors like this to occur when the router has bugged. :). An stainfo command with zero devices should still return something, rather than an error message.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are a lot of people seeing issues with the 5Ghz connectivity, yes.

The error message you're seeing is the router is attempting to poll the radio driver for a listing of all devices connected to the wireless radio. Many Broadcom based routers like the G1100 router, have an "stainfo" command which can be invoked via the command line. This will display information such as the connection quality of attached devices, their MAC addresses, and a count of how many devices are connected per radio.

Since the 5Ghz Wi-FI issue is more than likely to be a driver issue within the router itself, it is natural for errors like this to occur when the router has bugged. :). An stainfo command with zero devices should still return something, rather than an error message.

willman42
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the explanation! I would press further, but I guess it's best to wait until after the bug is fixed before delving deeper.

Do you know of any documentation for the G1100 router that would have provided me this information though?

0 Likes
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, but what i will say is that drivers for wireless radios are extremely hard to come by... due to the fact they are as singlehandedly the more important thing for them, and error or bugs reduces the preveaved quality of the entire device.

Often why you buy a more expensive router, you are paying maybe a 1/3 of it in the hardware and a larger portion with the driver software and the brand name.

I know from experience having taken nearly 2 years to finally get a driver working for my own custome router... manufactors are really, really tight on them you wont get them or even be able to fix them very easily unless it's your own.