Beeping BBU continues after battery is removed.
Eaton_Toast

This has been going on for about a week now. I tried the troubleshoot options, I tried holding down the "Silence Alarm" button for ten seconds to reboot the unit, but it didn't do anything. No flashing lights or loud beep. I tried holding down "silence alarm" and "emergency use" but again, nothing.

I removed the battery and the light is STILL red and it continues to beep. I don't even have phone service, only internet. So I don't need the back up battery. This box was here when I moved in, I had no knowledge of it until the beeping started. Pressing "silence alarm" SOMETIMES grants me 24 hours of blessed silence.

The BBU is plugged into a working outlet (I checked it). I have tried unplugging it, waiting 5 minutes, and plugging it back in. I get a loud beep and 15 minutes later, the beeping continues...

Do I really have to pay for a tech to come out and fix this issue? I'm not going to buy a new battery, as again, I don't have a land line. Will a tech come out for free and either replace the BBU or fix it? I'm losing my mind over here.

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Beeping BBU continues after battery is removed.
jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauth wrote:

I would not follow the instructables advice.

They are telling you how to damage Verizon equipment.

Yeah I knew the the one site totally removed the capability to have the battery function at all. However the second link is a Verizon supplied solution and much more safer to perform. Some people can achieve the knowledge to mess with devices and become so adept at it that it can be done with their eyes closed. Like my friend who is an electrician.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Eaton_Toast wrote:

This has been going on for about a week now. I tried the troubleshoot options, I tried holding down the "Silence Alarm" button for ten seconds to reboot the unit, but it didn't do anything. No flashing lights or loud beep. I tried holding down "silence alarm" and "emergency use" but again, nothing.

I removed the battery and the light is STILL red and it continues to beep. I don't even have phone service, only internet. So I don't need the back up battery. This box was here when I moved in, I had no knowledge of it until the beeping started. Pressing "silence alarm" SOMETIMES grants me 24 hours of blessed silence.

The BBU is plugged into a working outlet (I checked it). I have tried unplugging it, waiting 5 minutes, and plugging it back in. I get a loud beep and 15 minutes later, the beeping continues...

Do I really have to pay for a tech to come out and fix this issue? I'm not going to buy a new battery, as again, I don't have a land line. Will a tech come out for free and either replace the BBU or fix it? I'm losing my mind over here.

Thank you.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Silencing-the-Verizon-Battery-Alarm/

https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/battery-backup/beeping

The two  links above will show you how to safely get rid of the battery.

Good Luck

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauth wrote:

Yeah I knew the the one site totally removed the capability to have the battery function at all. However the second link is a Verizon supplied solution and much more safer to perform. Some people can achieve the knowledge to mess with devices and become so adept at it that it can be done with their eyes closed. Like my friend who is an electrician.

0 Likes
SmartEngineer

The only sure way to silence the BBU, is to remove all energy from it.  So disconnect the battery , and also unplug the AC power transformer from the wall.  That way you can get some sleep if the BBU is near your bedroom.  Of course you FIOS service will not work with the power and battery off (at a time when you would be sleeping), but you can plug things in again after you wake up.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes