Re: Being Prompted to enter network password
Justin46
Legend

@dkw197 wrote:

That could be, because my problem is with Outlook as well. It worked fine before the Security Suite update and I never had to enter my account or password.

This is the error message I am getting: Task incoming Verizon.net. Receiving reported error (0x8000CCC92) Your email rejected your login. Verify your user name and password in your account properties. Mailbox is on a different server.

I went to Tools, Email accounts and it says: incoming.verizon.et POP/SMTP (Default).  Is that the one you're getting as well?

This is all Greek to me--I can't tell if that is correct or not or where to even go to check anything.

I am going to make a guess, based on the message text highlighted above and the comments from several of you that if you keep trying eventually you are successful. Note this: Mailbox is on a different server.

My guess is that Verizon has added one or more new email servers to handle the increased volume as new users are added, but not all user definitions (in particular, yours!) have been propogated to all of those new servers. So depending on which email server you happen to connect to when you try to log in, your login may work, or it may not. 

I had an experience when I first signed up with FiOS that emails sent to me would occasionally be rejected as being sent to an unknown user, but if the sender tried again it might work immediately or it might get the same error, etc. But eventually they would be able to get the email to me. I went to www.dslreports.com and then to the Verizon Direct forum there where I reported the problem and Gustavo, one of the Verizon techs that works that forum, fixed the problem for me, he told me that he had to delete my email profile and recreate it to get it to propogate completely. You might want to try doing that and see if it helps (you have to register to post in the Verizon Direct forum, but it is free, and no one but you and the Verizon techs can see anything other than the title of the post).

If it is not the problem I have described, I have no clue, sorry...but good luck, I hope you get it fixed.....Smiley Happy

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
dkw197
Contributor - Level 1
Thanks Justin--I'm willing to try just about anything at this point. I am not very computer saavy, so do not know what dslreports.com is. I have FIOS Internet so can a DSL web site help me? Also--what is Verizon Direct? Just curious about what they are before I go there.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@dkw197 wrote:
Thanks Justin--I'm willing to try just about anything at this point. I am not very computer saavy, so do not know what dslreports.com is. I have FIOS Internet so can a DSL web site help me? Also--what is Verizon Direct? Just curious about what they are before I go there.

dslreports is just another website with lots of forums on many topics. It is called that I guess because it started a long time ago, well before FiOS, when DSL was king. It has forums for many different topics, not all related to computers or the web. The address is www.dslreports.com. They have two forums for Verizon FiOS, one for internet and one for TV, plus they have the Direct forum.

The Verizon Direct forum is a place where you can post your problems with FiOS TV, FiOS internet, DSL, etc. Questions posted there are answered by Verizon techs, actual employees of Verizon, like the Verizon techs we have here. But that forum is staffed only by Verizon techs, it is not user to user. As I said, to use the Verizon Direct forum you must register at the website, much like you do here to post, but when you post in the Direct forum only you and the Verizon people can see what goes on.

I just took a quick look over there and there is already a post in the Verizon Direct forum about being prompted for an email password. I of course cannot see what the poster has said, and it appears no one from Verizon has responded yet. I think it would be a good idea to go there, register, and post, maybe if they get a number of complaints they will pay more attention to it. It can't hurt....

If you do post there, and get help, and especially a fix, be sure to come back here and tell us what it is.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
golfdude

Justin,

Thanks again for the suggestions.  I registered a few weeks ago on DSLreports and will see if I can get any help there.  I am pretty sure the problem has to do with something on Verizon's end.  I haven't made any changes to anything on my computer and the problem started sometime on Friday.  When I test my email accounts in Outlook the test emails go through, but I keep getting the following every time Outlook logs on the check my email:

I have tried several ideas and can't figure it out.  I will let you know if I get a solution to this on DSLreports.

Take care,

Tom

0 Likes
eddiefios1

Golfdude,

It is nothing on your end. It IS on Verizons end.

I'm having the same problem.

Just got off the phone with tech support and they couldn't fix it. They said they would have to refer it to their "E-mail" dept !!

Whether anything like that even exists, I couldn't tell you....heh heh.

I had this same problem happen a year ago, went thru the same motions and the next day everything was working fine. So it MAY be like the other poster declared, they mave have added servers and our e-mail addy's have not made it there yet.

It WOULD be nice if Verizon sent a statement out to that effect.

Cause they sure know how to suspend your account if you send too many e-mails out in an hour, thats for sure (for 24 hours, no less, which is ludicous).

Give it a day or so.

0 Likes
golfdude
Thanks EddieFiOS.  I will give them some time to fix the problem.
0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
If your outlook login is asking for your network ID to log in (after a security suite update), perhaps it is your firewall, so turn that off and then try it.    Or, perhaps your type of email account has changed from POP3 to pppoe or dial up?  If so, change it back
0 Likes
golfdude

If your outlook login is asking for your network ID to log in (after a security suite update), perhaps it is your firewall, so turn that off and then try it.    Or, perhaps your type of email account has changed from POP3 to pppoe or dial up?  If so, change it back

Number 1- I don't use the Security Suite.  I use Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, AVG Anti-Virus, and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware weekly just to check for anything that may get through the other programs.

I have checked all of my email settings and they are correct.  The problem started while I was working Friday morning (Friday the 13th).  I had been on the computer for around 4 hours receiving and sending emails when the request for my user name and password started popping up.  At Justin's suggestion I logged on to DSLreports and apparently several people are having the same problem.  I also posted the problem and hopefully Verizon will solve the problem today.

Also, I didn't have any updates from Windows or any other programs installed that day.

0 Likes
dkw197
Contributor - Level 1
I also posted with DSLreports and found that a lot of people are having the same problem which leads me to believe that it is a Verizon issue. I'll post any help that they give me.
0 Likes
DM1954
I have experienced the same problem and put a protocol analyzer on my network while trying to retrieve email with Outlook.  The problem appears to be with Verizon's messaging multiplexor.  I'm betting that they added some new servers to their network or made a change to the configuration of the multiplexor that is causing it to route user to non-mail servers or a least mail servers that are not synchronized with their LDAP.  I left a message on the VerizionDirect forum so we will see what they say.
0 Likes