Being charged an ETF for moving to non-fios area
jwohler
Enthusiast - Level 2

My situation is I am moving to an area that Verizon fios doesn't service, but they do have phone and dsl available. When I learned that FiOS wasn't available, I told them I want to just cancel the account then. They tell me I have to pay and ETF and end up transferring me to a supervisor named Karen who says ETF is non-negotiable and that I need to read the Verizon terms of service. So I read the terms of service and find this:

13. WARRANTIES AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY

2. VERIZON DOES NOT WARRANT OR GUARANTEE THAT SERVICE CAN BE PROVISIONED TO YOUR LOCATION, OR THAT PROVISIONING WILL OCCUR ACCORDING TO A SPECIFIED SCHEDULE, EVEN IF VERIZON HAS ACCEPTED YOUR ORDER FOR SERVICE. THE PROVISIONING OF SERVICE IS SUBJECT TO NETWORK AVAILABILITY, CIRCUIT AVAILABILITY, LOOP LENGTH, THE CONDITION OF YOUR TELEPHONE LINE AND WIRING INSIDE YOUR LOCATION, AND YOUR COMPUTER/DEVICE CONFIGURATION AND CAPABILITIES, AMONG OTHER FACTORS. IN THE EVENT YOUR LINE IS NOT PROVISIONED FOR ANY REASON, NEITHER YOU NOR VERIZON SHALL HAVE ANY DUTIES OR OBLIGATIONS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT (OTHER THAN YOUR OBLIGATION TO RETURN ANY EQUIPMENT).

I called after reading this and spoke with a rep named Diane and explain everything to her, she seems to agree with me and tells me that her supervisor is busy but I will get a call back in the next 24 hours. No call after 24 hours so I call again, this time I explain my situation to the rep and they play middle man between me and their supervisor for 30 minutes. The rep ends up telling me that the supervisor wont speak with me and if I want to debate how they interpret their terms of service then I need to call their legal department. I dont have time to keep going through hoops with these people since I am moving in 2 weeks.

Has anyone been able to get out of an ETF?

0 Likes
Re: Being charged an ETF for moving to non-fios area
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not a lawyer, but this serction just says that if they take an order, they and you are under no finacial obligation if they can not complete the order.

BTW, ETFs are fairly standard across service companies that offer contracts.

Try sigining up for a cellphone contract and then moving to an area where they don't have good coverage.

You will be told the same thing. Pay the ETF.

0 Likes
jwohler
Enthusiast - Level 2

Your cell phone analogy isn't quite accurate. If verizon were to shut off my cell phone because I am moving but offer me a telegraph station instead, then it would be the same. 

0 Likes
watisgoingon1

Were you told by the sales agent that no ETF would apply if moving to a non-Fios area? I am in the same boat.

0 Likes
jwohler
Enthusiast - Level 2
Yes, when I originally signed up I asked about moving and termination since I knew I would only be at this apartment for about a year. The sales person on the phone assured me that there would be no etf if they couldn't provide service. I have several friends who are technicians for verizon and they all told me that they are surprised verizon is charging an etf because they were told there wouldn't be one.
0 Likes
jaf562
I just called to terminate my service. I have been with FiOS for 3.5 years. I'm moving to a location that they do not provide service to and they are still charging me an ETF. I pay them nearly $200 a month. Unreal and terrible customer service.
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

@jwohler wrote:

My situation is I am moving to an area that Verizon fios doesn't service, but they do have phone and dsl available. When I learned that FiOS wasn't available, I told them I want to just cancel the account then. They tell me I have to pay and ETF and end up transferring me to a supervisor named Karen who says ETF is non-negotiable and that I need to read the Verizon terms of service. So I read the terms of service and find this:

2. VERIZON DOES NOT WARRANT OR GUARANTEE THAT SERVICE CAN BE PROVISIONED TO YOUR LOCATION, OR THAT PROVISIONING WILL OCCUR ACCORDING TO A SPECIFIED SCHEDULE, EVEN IF VERIZON HAS ACCEPTED YOUR ORDER FOR SERVICE. THE PROVISIONING OF SERVICE IS SUBJECT TO NETWORK AVAILABILITY, CIRCUIT AVAILABILITY, LOOP LENGTH, THE CONDITION OF YOUR TELEPHONE LINE AND WIRING INSIDE YOUR LOCATION, AND YOUR COMPUTER/DEVICE CONFIGURATION AND CAPABILITIES, AMONG OTHER FACTORS. IN THE EVENT YOUR LINE IS NOT PROVISIONED FOR ANY REASON, NEITHER YOU NOR VERIZON SHALL HAVE ANY DUTIES OR OBLIGATIONS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT (OTHER THAN YOUR OBLIGATION TO RETURN ANY EQUIPMENT).

I called after reading this and spoke with a rep named Diane and explain everything to her, she seems to agree with me and tells me that her supervisor is busy but I will get a call back in the next 24 hours. No call after 24 hours so I call again, this time I explain my situation to the rep and they play middle man between me and their supervisor for 30 minutes. The rep ends up telling me that the supervisor wont speak with me and if I want to debate how they interpret their terms of service then I need to call their legal department. I dont have time to keep going through hoops with these people since I am moving in 2 weeks.

Has anyone been able to get out of an ETF?

You are responsible for the ETF. When you first signed up for Fios and create the user name for your account you have to agreee to the terms of service and in all that fine print it says that the ETF is for your current addresss only, so if you move to an area that does not have fios you are breaking the contract and are responsible for the prorated amount of the ETF left on your contract. It does not matter what anyone has said to you

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@jwohler wrote:

Your line was provisioned, exactly as it was ordered for your current contract location. Any new contract for a new location does not apply to this contract at the current location.

This is the section the rep was most likely referring to:

10. TERMINATION OR SUSPENSION OF SERVICE.

2. Subscribers with Term Plans; Early Termination Fee. EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE SET FORTH IN THIS AGREEMENT, IF YOUR BROADBAND SERVICE OR ANY COMPONENT OF A BUNDLED SERVICE PLAN IS TERMINATED BY YOU OR BY US AS A RESULT OF VIOLATION BY YOU OF THIS AGREEMENT BEFORE COMPLETING YOUR TERM PLAN, THEN YOU AGREE TO PAY VERIZON THE ETF SET FORTH IN THE PRICING PLAN YOU HAVE CHOSEN. If you terminate Service at your location, your existing Term Plan cannot be carried over to a new Service location.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jaf562 wrote:
I just called to terminate my service. I have been with FiOS for 3.5 years. I'm moving to a location that they do not provide service to and they are still charging me an ETF. I pay them nearly $200 a month. Unreal and terrible customer service.

What incentive does Verizon have to let you out of your ETF?

Being a good citizen?

Its not like you are moving to an area and if they woul work with you, they will comtinue or grow their business.

We all may not like it, but companies today are driven by the dollar.

And I would suspect you would have similar issues with any other cable provider if you subscribe and then move out of their service area.

0 Likes
jwohler
Enthusiast - Level 2

The incentive that Verizon has is keeping my $200+ a month cell phone plan which is currently month to month and my $600+ a month FiOS/phone bundle at my business which is also month to month. 

I did not want to leave Verizon, I called up to transfer service. They claim they can't at my new location and want to charge me for their inability to provide service. 

I wont change my position and Verizon wont change theirs, so where does that leave me? I will end up paying the fee so it wont go on my credit, and Verizon will lose all the accounts I have with them.

0 Likes