Best g1100 alternative (want to use my own)
Ganse

Hello Fios Fam,

I've been paying for the router rental all this time and finally decided to use my own router, but I don't know what are the top options out there. I want to be able and control most of the router without any issues and be able to set up a VPN and static IP.

Any advice is definitely appreciated!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Best g1100 alternative (want to use my own)
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have Fios TV service with Verizon set-top-boxes, it's really hard to replace the primary router with a non-Verizon model.  For example, the Fios ONE boxes won't activate unless a Verizon router is primary.

If you don't have Verizon set-top-boxes, you can use any router you like(*).  You can find lots of reviews online to help you select a model that meets your needs and budget.

Also, know you can find used G1100 online for $40 or less.  That's an easy and cheap way to get rid of the rental cost.  Of course, this won't give you the router VPN feature you asked about, but it is an option.

Static IP is not a router option.  It's a service option.  Residential Fios service uses dynamic IP addresses.  While they don't change often (like months), they can and do change.  If you want a fixed IP address, you need to pay for business service.

(*) To use any router you like, you need Ethernet WAN enabled on the ONT and an Ethernet cable between the router and ONT.  If you're ONT is currently using MoCA (coax) WAN, install an Ethernet cable between the two devices then contact Verizon support.  They will reprovision the ONT to Ethernet WAN for no charge.  Takes about five minute once you start working with them.  Use chat for best results.

View solution in original post

Re: Best g1100 alternative (want to use my own)
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have Fios TV service with Verizon set-top-boxes, it's really hard to replace the primary router with a non-Verizon model.  For example, the Fios ONE boxes won't activate unless a Verizon router is primary.

If you don't have Verizon set-top-boxes, you can use any router you like(*).  You can find lots of reviews online to help you select a model that meets your needs and budget.

Also, know you can find used G1100 online for $40 or less.  That's an easy and cheap way to get rid of the rental cost.  Of course, this won't give you the router VPN feature you asked about, but it is an option.

Static IP is not a router option.  It's a service option.  Residential Fios service uses dynamic IP addresses.  While they don't change often (like months), they can and do change.  If you want a fixed IP address, you need to pay for business service.

(*) To use any router you like, you need Ethernet WAN enabled on the ONT and an Ethernet cable between the router and ONT.  If you're ONT is currently using MoCA (coax) WAN, install an Ethernet cable between the two devices then contact Verizon support.  They will reprovision the ONT to Ethernet WAN for no charge.  Takes about five minute once you start working with them.  Use chat for best results.