Best way to bypass verizon's router?
Nattan
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have soo many connection issues with the defualt verison router, and the only reason I have kept it this long is due to the fact that the tv's require it.

So my question is, what do I need to do to bypass their router completely, and run my own?

I would assume a docsis 3.0 modem and my own router, aside from that is there anything else that I would need to keep in mind? Or is there any known hardware incompatibilites with fios?

Edit: Reason I want to bypass their router is because of the horrible response time, the router keeps "constant" uptime but I can ping it when I disconnect ( Lan ) and it takes anywhere from 5 seconds to 1 minute to finally respond.

0 Likes
Re: Best way to bypass verizon's router?
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Nattan wrote:

I would assume a docsis 3.0 modem

FIOS does not use DOCSIS.

There are many options for using your own router.

What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

Nattan wrote:

Reason I want to bypass their router is because of the horrible response time,

You should not be getting poor response time from the router.  Is this wired or wireless? A ping from a wired LAN device to the router should be 1ms or less.

Nattan wrote:

the router keeps "constant" uptime but I can ping it when I disconnect ( Lan ) and it takes anywhere from 5 seconds to 1 minute to finally respond.

I don't understand what you're trying to say.  Again wired or wireless?

If you disconnect a wired device, it normally takes several seconds to negotiate a new DHCP lease required to reconnect.  A wireless connection can take longer depend on the number of wireless devices on the same channel.

0 Likes
very_annoyed
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can think of two options:

1. Connect any home router directly to the ONT (big white Verizon box in your basement)

This way you don't need to deal with coax cables. This may however depend on how easy it is to run a cat5 Ethernet cable between the ONT and your router. Also, using the Ethernet port instead of the Coax port on the ONT.

More info on that: http://www.marco.org/2011/01/15/how-to-use-your-own-router-with-fios

2. Replace the router with a Coax to Ethernet adapter

Actiontec makes a few. They also are the actual manufacturer of my Verizon router.

This is also a great resource if you're tech savvy:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@very_annoyed wrote:

2. Replace the router with a Coax to Ethernet adapter

Actiontec makes a few.  

The Actiontec MOCA adapters (ECB2200, ECB2500) do not support MOCA WAN and can not be used between the ONT and a user router.

There are others that will work.

How to use a MOCA WAN bridge

0 Likes
Nattan
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Anti-Phish wrote:

@Nattan wrote:

I would assume a docsis 3.0 modem

FIOS does not use DOCSIS.

There are many options for using your own router.

@Nattan wrote:

Reason I want to bypass their router is because of the horrible response time,

You should not be getting poor response time from the router.  Is this wired or wireless? A ping from a wired LAN device to the router should be 1ms or less.

@Nattan wrote:

the router keeps "constant" uptime but I can ping it when I disconnect ( Lan ) and it takes anywhere from 5 seconds to 1 minute to finally respond.

I don't understand what you're trying to say.  Again wired or wireless?

If you disconnect a wired device, it normally takes several seconds to negotiate a new DHCP lease required to reconnect.  A wireless connection can take longer depend on the number of wireless devices on the same channel.

Sorry I wrote this late night and I see how some of it could be misscommunicated.

What I ment was, when i disconnect from games or from the internet on a lan connection ( games stop responding, i cant ping any website, i cant ping the routers 192.168.1.1 ip ) the router takes anywhere from 5 seconds to 3 minutes to come back on or to start functioning again. I feel that my internet service is serverly impacted due to this. I currently have every pc on my network set up with a static internal ip so everyone can connect to a print server. When I "disconnect" or the router is unresponsive, it is every computer not just a singular one. ( 3 desktops and 1 laptop )

So all in all, when the internet stops working I try to ping the router from a desktop on a wired connection, and it takes anywhere from 5 seconds to 3 mintues for the router to show up.

@very_annoyed wrote:

1. Connect any home router directly to the ONT (big white Verizon box in your basement)

This way you don't need to deal with coax cables. This may however depend on how easy it is to run a cat5 Ethernet cable between the ONT and your router. Also, using the Ethernet port instead of the Coax port on the ONT.

More info on that: http://www.marco.org/2011/01/15/how-to-use-your-own-router-with-fios

I was also unaware of this, do i need to remove the security screws on the box?

Edit:

I have read the guide mentioned in that thread, and that looks like something I may be interested in doing. My only concern would be: Would i still have issues relying on verizon's equipment? or will it just work as a pass through and just disable routing on verizon's equipment?

Edit2:

Can i just plug in a ethernet cable into the white box and leave verizon's router alone and just run two off it? or will it only assign one ip address?

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Nattan wrote:
... Can i just plug in a ethernet cable into the white box and leave verizon's router alone and just run two off it? or will it only assign one ip address?

With FiOS your WAN service can be either via coax, or via Ethernet.  You can have either, but not both.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Nattan wrote:

What I ment was, when i disconnect from games or from the internet on a lan connection ( games stop responding, i cant ping any website, i cant ping the routers 192.168.1.1 ip ) the router takes anywhere from 5 seconds to 3 minutes to come back on or to start functioning again.

Sounds like the router is rebooting.  This can happen for a number of reasons, including the NAT table being overwhelmed.

What hardware revision of the Actiontec do you have?  This should be on the router's service tag.  Early versions of the Actiontec were susceptible to this, especially with heavy gaming.

Nattan wrote:
 I currently have every pc on my network set up with a static internal ip so everyone can connect to a print server.

It should not be necessary to assign static IPs to every device in order to use a print server.

Nattan wrote:

very_annoyed wrote:

More info on that: http://www.marco.org/2011/01/15/how-to-use-your-own-router-with-fios

I don;t recommend that article on marco.org.  It is only applicable if you do not have FIOS TV.

The guides on dslreports.com including important information if you have FIOS-TV so that you don't lose your VOD or guide information.

Nattan wrote:
Do i need to remove the security screws on the box?

No.  There are two covers on the ONT.  A user accessible cover and a telco only cover.  You only need to access the customer portion of the ONT.

Nattan wrote:

My only concern would be: Would i still have issues relying on verizon's equipment? or will it just work as a pass through and just disable routing on verizon's equipment?

You still need VZ's router to provide MOCA LAN connectivity for the STBs if you have FIOS-TV.

Follow one of the options in this FAQ that best suits your needs:

Nattan wrote:

Can i just plug in a ethernet cable into the white box and leave verizon's router alone and just run two off it? or will it only assign one ip address?

No, you can not do that.  You can only get one WAN IP address.

0 Likes
Nattan
Enthusiast - Level 3

The router is Revison 1, if i asked verizon to replace this router with a newer one would that most likely solve this issue?

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

There is no rev. 1.  The hardware revisions are letters (A,C,D,E,F,G,I).

Asking VZ to replace it is hit-or-miss.  They will ship what ever is available in the warehouse.

If you have the rev. I, that is the latest router.

0 Likes
Nattan
Enthusiast - Level 3

Edit: i see it could be i not 1

Edit2:

the guide i was planning on following is:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r17679150-Howto-make-ActionTec-MI424WR-a-network-bridge

0 Likes