Betrayed on 50/50 Upgrade
Jayf1

Months back I took the offer of an upgrade from 25/7 to 50/25. Very unhappy with losing many of our channels in the plan without advance warning but they semi satisfied us. The problem, which continues, is that I never get more than 24 download and 25 upload speed. After they equalled it to 50/50 it is even slower. Even the "optimizer" doesn't do anything to better the speed. I do not have time to call and wait on the phone and there is no email contact. Very discouraging and maybe it is time to move on to another provider.

0 Likes
Re: Betrayed on 50/50 Upgrade
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Are you performing this test wirelessly or hardwired?

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

I did nothing...eventually THEY AUTOMATICALLY UPPED MY SPEEDS.

PLEASE SEE MY ATT. LOG

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Jayf wrote:

Months back I took the offer of an upgrade from 25/7 to 50/25. Very unhappy with losing many of our channels in the plan without advance warning but they semi satisfied us. The problem, which continues, is that I never get more than 24 download and 25 upload speed. After they equalled it to 50/50 it is even slower. Even the "optimizer" doesn't do anything to better the speed. I do not have time to call and wait on the phone and there is no email contact. Very discouraging and maybe it is time to move on to another provider.

You do not indicate where you are located, but I can tell you that I just did a fairly extensive speed test of my 50/50 service over the weekend because I replaced my ActionTec Rev. I router with the new Quantum router. I tested the routers both wired and wireless and got almost identical speeds in all environments: 58 down, 57 up, using both the Verizon and Speedtest.net tests.  So you certainly should be able to get around 50/50.

Some questions/comments:

1) What router do you have, brand and model?

2) Be sure to test wired to ensure that wireless interference does not affect the results.

3) The "optimizer" was published for Windows XP I believe, I don't think it applys to current versions of Windows.

4) What tools or sites are you using for your speed testing? Using the Verizon test should really give the best picture of the speed you can achieve because it keeps everything within the Verizon network. Any other tool you might use would generally go outside the Verizon network and then there are plenty of other sources of congestion or slowdown. On the other hand I really tend to prefer Speedtest.net, it allows you to test with servers scattered all over so you can see the effect distance can have on your performance.

5) If you are using wireless, are you using WEP or WPA/2 encryption? I have not used WEP in years, am using WPA/2, it is my understanding that you will get better performance with WPA/2.

6) Have you activated the parental controls in the router? If so, I suggest you try disabling them and see if things are any better. I have never used the parental controls (all my kids are long, long gone), but again my understanding is that some settings can have a major impact on performance.

Maybe some of the above will help. If not, if you provide additional info on your setup, maybe someone can provide more ideas to help improve the performance.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.

Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions.

To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".

Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes