Better video streaming performance on my iPhone's VZW 3G than with FiOS 75/35
JamesMowery
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can download videos faster and have the 3G (not even LTE) connection on my iPhone actually properly buffer YouTube videos with better performance than my 75/35 FiOS connection. With regards to Facetime, I get better performance on LTE than I do on my FiOS connection.

This is with and without wired connections. We also installed the optimizer stuff on my laptop, but it doesn't matter. Laptops, iPhones, iPads. It isn't working. I can't even view low quality YouTube videos without it having to stop, buffer a little bit, start, and then reach the buffer again.

I never have any issues with download or upload speeds. I run speed tests throughout the day to confirm. I also had a technician come here, and he said everything checks out, but when my phone and my neighbor's slow connections can outperform a 75 Mbps service like FiOS, something is very wrong. When they can download 1080p video from YouTube on a connection that's a fraction of the speed, and I can't even get the 240p option to work without needing to stop and buffer, that's a serious problem in my opinion.

I had the Rev F Actiontec router replaced with Rev I, and that didn't fix it either.

What is there left to do? I have a technician coming out on Friday, and I honestly don't know what to tell him to do at this point. I'm a fairly technical person, and I can't even explain this. I have about a week before I have to decide if I'm keeping FiOS or not, and it's crazy that I have to even consider an alternative.

Does this make any sense at all?

Re: Better video streaming performance on my iPhone's VZW 3G than with FiOS 75/35
JamesMowery
Enthusiast - Level 2

Support technician came over, and he was fairly rude at first. I explained to him that we've tried everything, and he immediately started critcizing me, and even previous technicians. He challenged my knowledge, but then he would say "you are way over my head, buddy."

He didn't seem to want to do anything at first. He left for about 10 - 15 minutes, then came back in after saying he talked to someone who said it probably isn't the ONT. He switched me over to ethernet via the wall jack. Then after waiting around an hour since it wouldn't work, he then went ahead and replaced the ONT after all.

At first things seemed to be getting better. But right now, as I type this, I can't load anything on YouTube. CNET video is having trouble loading. I'm having trouble with Vimeo, as it barely buffers any content.

And, again, right down the road from me my neighbors, who have different ISPs, are reporting no problems whatsoever with streaming video content.

Does anyone have any suggestions at this point?

0 Likes
Re: Better video streaming performance on my iPhone's VZW 3G than with FiOS 75/35
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

JamesMowery,

Since we haven't heard back from you or have received a form submission as requested in your private support case, it appears assistance is no longer required. If you need any future help with your Verizon service, please make a post here on the forums so we can assist.

0 Likes