Beware 1GB service with G1100 router
JW210
Enthusiast - Level 2

"Upgraded" from 75mbps to 1BG connection yesterday. Kept my prior router G1100 model as the sale rep said our current router was sufficient.  New service is OK within 15 feet of router, but beyond that the service disappears. Verizon speed test beyond 15 feet shows extremely weak service.  Before the "upgrade", the speed and connectivity throughout our house was OK. 

Beware...

Now on phone with Verizon asking for them to fix the problem....freaking waste of time.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Beware 1GB service with G1100 router
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Cang_Household wrote:

Something jumps into my mind about IP multicasting. When you have layer 3 devices that do not support IGMP or layer 2 device without IGMP snooping, jamming your WiFi is the typical result.

Do we have CCIE certified IT here to give some thoughts on IP multicasting?

The FiOS routers do support IGMP Snooping, however the settings are locked behind what used to be a visible page, and what is either now a hidden or non-existent page. Maybe it is available for configuration by SSH. The FiOS TV One platform relies on IGMP for the FiOS One Minis to function properly, for example. The flooding you speak of occurs when the wireless driver in the access point portion of the FiOS router, does not convert Multicast packets into a Unicast packet directed at a client (a function of IGMP snooping on Wi-Fi) before sending it over the air interface. Multicast and Broadcast traffic is sent at the lowest BSS rate configured on the AP. So that may be 1Mbps (to match the beacon) or it may be 6Mbps/12Mbps+ (OFDM-only mode). When you send as Unicast, the packet will transmit as fast as possible to the client based on the negotiated PHY rate.

As for Layer 3, IGMP won't cross a Layer 3 boundary unless you are running a reflector, or have explicitly configured routing in the gear for it. IGMP messages also have a TTL of 1 by default so the router discards it if the Multicast packet is not being tracked for routing or reflection.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you talking about the WiFi signal as the "service?"

A speed upgrade has nothing to do with the router's access points. It might be your router malfunctioning. How old is your router?

Just another question, do you have an ethernet connection from the ONT to the router? I assuming yes because Verizon technician will make sure this.

JW210
Enthusiast - Level 2

Adding to this thread...talked with verizon tech.  They reset the router and tried different channels.  No help and no improvement.

Transferred to rep "Chris" who was no help.  Was asking for him to fix the problem by providing me with an upgraded router at no additional cost.  He declined.  

I asked to speak with the supervisor....waiting on call back.

Freaking nonsense.  I just want Verizon to own the problem that they created.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

In order to let other forum users help you, please give some information regarding your setup.

JW210
Enthusiast - Level 2

New box installed in the basement yesterday by Verizon tech. G1100 router connected to box by ethernet. Coaxial cable to Verizon TV.   Several devices connected via Wifi to the router.  Router reset to factor settings today by technician.

Is there other information you are looking for?  Thank you.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yeah, can you plug an ethernet wire into a LAN port of the router and into a computer, and run a speed test from there, what do you get?

BEARCAT1

i am not the original OP, but i have the same issue...

i have 1 gb service with G1100 router that VZ "did replace for free for me, but i still have the same issue.  that being slower then expected speed on my wifi.

example ..Laptop connected to router getting download speed "to" laptop of @850! Great right but that is Ethernet connected. when i unplug Ethernet and sit my laptop 12 inches from my router, i get speeds of @ 66! if i move 25 feet away i get speed of 25-35.   this is a small 1800 sq foot condo. My upstairs PC is getting 15!!!! yikes.

They allowed me to replaced my G1100 router this week because after 3 hours of testing on line they could not correct my problem...... but the # i just listed above are with the "NEW" replacement.  they did try to get me to go with their new router for $15/month, but after talking to a FIOS tech, decided to wiat till they get issues with that straightened out. but really I am allready paying for the 1G service and getting this.  why do I have to pay even more???

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I still need more information here. Can you find out what layer 2 protocol is used by your device to connect WiFi?

If you do not know how to find out this information on individual devices, go to the router's GUI and My Networks -> Show More: see the wireless devices' Connection Type. You should see either 802.11b, g, n, or ac. Please tell me what do you see there, best to send a screenshot here (of course, wipe out the MAC Address and Device Name for privacy).

While you are at the router's GUI, go to http://[gateway IP]/#/wireless/mode, see whether the 2.4GHz Mode is in Legacy Mode 802.11b/g. Then, go to http://[gateway  IP]/#/wireless/transmission, to see whether the transmit power is set to 100%.

What's your older setup, for instance, what's your speed subscription before gigabit? Was the ONT connected to the router via WAN Coax?

Upgrading the speed subscription should not affect anything on your home network segment. Another possibility for your slow wireless speed is because of packet flooding, perhaps some WAN packet leaks into your home network, or you have a layer 2 loop somewhere.

I still need more information. Are you comfortable to upload a topology for your entire home network? Do you have other layer 2 and layer 3 devices, such as switches, access points, MoCA adapters, extenders, STBs, or multicast devices?

Something jumps into my mind about IP multicasting. When you have layer 3 devices that do not support IGMP or layer 2 device without IGMP snooping, jamming your WiFi is the typical result.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Cang_Household wrote:

The FiOS routers do support IGMP Snooping, however the settings are locked behind what used to be a visible page, and what is either now a hidden or non-existent page. Maybe it is available for configuration by SSH. The FiOS TV One platform relies on IGMP for the FiOS One Minis to function properly, for example. The flooding you speak of occurs when the wireless driver in the access point portion of the FiOS router, does not convert Multicast packets into a Unicast packet directed at a client (a function of IGMP snooping on Wi-Fi) before sending it over the air interface. Multicast and Broadcast traffic is sent at the lowest BSS rate configured on the AP. So that may be 1Mbps (to match the beacon) or it may be 6Mbps/12Mbps+ (OFDM-only mode). When you send as Unicast, the packet will transmit as fast as possible to the client based on the negotiated PHY rate.

As for Layer 3, IGMP won't cross a Layer 3 boundary unless you are running a reflector, or have explicitly configured routing in the gear for it. IGMP messages also have a TTL of 1 by default so the router discards it if the Multicast packet is not being tracked for routing or reflection.