Beware: unethical billing - "free" upgrade in internet speed translates to $5 more per month
Scruff2

When I called Verizon to find out why my bill had increased like $40/month in the last year, I found out they just arbitrarily increased my rates.  I had to call to get them to back out a bunch of increases.  At the end of the call, the agent said she was throwing in "free" upgrade to internet download speed, so I said "sure."  When I got the email confirmation and read the fine print, I saw that after X number of months (I can't remember how long, think it was 6 months), they were going to increase my monthly payment by $5/mo for this "free" upgrade.  So, I had to call back again to ask them to remove this "free" upgrade.  Well, last night when I got my USPS mail, I found a postcard that said again that Verizon is giving me a "Free" upgrade.  I was wondering if this meant my bill was going to increase in the future, so I made a mental note to call.  Well, guess what, this morning, I received an email stating that they are increasing my bill by $5/mo after a month.

This is ridiculous.  I have never seen such sneaky practices. Beware of anythng that is "free."  it is a tactic to force you to upgrade your services so they can charge you more $.

Update:

I called and was told by the 1st person:  the original download speed I had is no longer available, so I am forced to move to the new speed; she said that since I have been a long time customer (dating back to the Bell Atlantic days, the 1990s), maybe the customer loyalty dept could help me.  I was transferred.  I re-explained everything.  The second person said I would not be charged more because I had a contract in place; but he wanted to check why I got the email and put me on hold.  I was only hold maybe 45 mins. I have a timer on my phone and it said 51 minutes in total by the time a 3rd person came on the phone and she said something to the effect of, "this is XYZ of Verizon; may i have your name and reason for calling?"  I must have been bounced back into the call holding queue.  She had no idea why I was calling and I was not about to explain for a 3rd time, so I just told her she would not be able to help me at this point.  What a frustrating experience.

0 Likes
Re: Beware: unethical billing - "free" upgrade in internet speed translates to $5 more pe
jonniemc

At least they didn't hang up.  I called for tech help.  The Tech couln't help and said that sales could help. He transfered me to sales.  The lady that answered in sales help couldn't help she was going to transfere me to Tech and I told her they had transfered me to her.  She said let me put you on hold and I'll find someone to help.  She hung up on me.  Then I get an email for a survey on the support I received.  It had an error and couldn't be opened. 

0 Likes
Re: Beware: unethical billing - "free" upgrade in internet speed translates to $5 more pe
bnucci
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am using chat and though friendly the chat people have no power at all to solve any issue they are able to sell you the same service that you can get on the web so I am not sure of their function perhaps they do some tech support not sure.

0 Likes