Beyond Netflix
wBud
Enthusiast - Level 2

I understand that Netflix is the lightning rod in "lack of speed on my high speed internet" problem with Cogent peering, but there are a bunch of other people who do not stream from Netflix but are still being punished in this dispute.

I pay for a fat pipe so I can easily work from home with servers in Europe.  Transfering files back and forth.

During prime time,  what had usually been a 90mbit transfer now drops to as low as 150K.

Can someone please explain why paying for fiber internet and getting DSL speeds seems like a good deal?

Verizon: I am your customer, you need to fix this,

0 Likes
Re: Beyond Netflix
Namronorman
Contributor - Level 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this all seems to have started in May. I seriously doubt poo hit the fan in May hard enough to cause this issue. My guess is Verizon has purposely reduced capacity in order to push customers towards Redbox Instant.

I'm not sure about you, but my May billing statement from Verizon had an advertisement for Redbox Instant. My May statement was the only statement to have that. Never before, never after.

0 Likes
wBud
Enthusiast - Level 2

I first noticed, as others at my firm did, shortly after the fiber cut in Southampton was announced as repaired by Cogent, the events bled into each other.

Comcast was also having peering issues at the same time with Cogent, that was around the beginning of May.

0 Likes
Namronorman
Contributor - Level 2

Not sure about you, wBud, but I am still having issues. Did you ever get anywhere with yours?

0 Likes