Re: Blacklisted IP and no help from Verizon support
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Here is a good easy way to get a new IP address

Actiontec MI424-WR - RELEASE DHCP
Click on MY NETWORK icon at the top.
Select NETWORK CONNECTIONS from the menu on the left.
Select BROADBAND CONNECTION (coax or ethernet) depending on your connection to the ONT.
Click SETTINGS
Click RELEASE
Click APPLY
Disconnect the router or power it down immediately to prevent it from re-requesting a DHCP lease.

leave the connection dead for 5-10 minutes  (no less) and then turn it back on.    It "should" get a new ip address.

poorktrekker
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, Verizon had given me a new dynamic IP, which also showed up on the very same blacklists. Seems like this is a common thing, and not in a good way.

My main issue is that this interferes with my client work. However, it seems to me that the most obvious and egregeous problem here is that web/email hosts are actually using these blacklists to control access; are they not aware that giants like Verizon etc just assign these random dynamic IP ranges randomly? And that those blacklists are [most likely] inaccurate and out of date?

It's all well and good to try and be "proactive" in staunching SPAM--and the spammers--but not if that means thousands of users are potentially obstructed on spurious information.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@poorktrekker wrote:

Yes, Verizon had given me a new dynamic IP, which also showed up on the very same blacklists. Seems like this is a common thing, and not in a good way.

My main issue is that this interferes with my client work. However, it seems to me that the most obvious and egregeous problem here is that web/email hosts are actually using these blacklists to control access; are they not aware that giants like Verizon etc just assign these random dynamic IP ranges randomly? And that those blacklists are [most likely] inaccurate and out of date?

It's all well and good to try and be "proactive" in staunching SPAM--and the spammers--but not if that means thousands of users are potentially obstructed on spurious information.

Could you list all of the specific blacklists which your IP address is being listed under? Their full policy of blocking that displays would be appreciated.

Unless you pay for a Static IP from Verizon, you are going to wind up on the following blacklists:

• PBL (Spamhaus)
  • DNSBL (Sorbs)
  • Zen (Spamhaus) (COMBINATION LIST OF OTHER BLACKLISTS!)
  • APNews Level 2

All of these lists only demonstrate and tell other providers that your IP address should not be sending out e-mail, especially un-authenticated e-mail. This prevents machines infected with spam generating malware from spamming mailboxes. Instead, a person has to either send mail through a mail server authorized for sending mail as a specific domain, or an authenticated smarthost must be used. Open relays that behave as Smarthosts are quick to be filtered, and if you are not running an open relay out of your home you shouldn't have to worry about this. If a forum or another website is using any of these lists for blocking HTTP connectivity, they're doing something terribly wrong and their system administrator needs a smacking.

Verizon has nothing to do with these blacklists, and should take no action. If customers are abusing IP addresses, for example by creating DDoS through any means or spamming, server owners should report them to Verizon's abuse e-mail. Date, IP address, and time are important as Verizon maintains a listing of what IPs were assigned to what circuit at a specific time.

0 Likes
cartographer1

I too am faced with the same issue.   I have been told to fill out the form at:

http colon slash slash my.verizon.com slash micro slash whitelist.

And even though it only gives you 45 characters, they will reply with an e-mail from whitelist AT verizon.net.

At least then you'll have some sort of followup which won't bounce to give them additional feedback.

These are my RBLs according to: 

https colon slash slash www.whatismy.ip.com slash blacklist-check slash

McAfee RBL    cidr.bl.mcafee.com
SORBS Aggregate zone    dnsbl.sorbs.net
SORBS Aggregate zone (safe)    safe.dnsbl.sorbs.net
SORBS Dynamic IP Addresses    dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net
Spamhaus PBL Policy Block List    pbl.spamhaus.org
Spamhaus ZEN Combined Block List    zen.spamhaus.org
StopSpam.org dul    dul.pacifier.net

I agree, it ought to be easier to request to get your IP unblacklisted. 

If I had the money I'd buy my own T-3 and dedicate a static IP address to it.   But not everyone can afford that 🙂  So we must be the squeaky wheel that gets the grease and insist they do everything they can to remove the blacklist for us.  We can't just keep renewing our IP address only get another blacklisted IP.  That's absurd.   We need an IP with a solid foundation to work with.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi cartographer,

Have you submitted the whitelist request?  Have you received a response?

0 Likes